Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Channel based routing?
Hello,

first of all thanks for finally building a midi merger, that is also compatible with linux. Even if only by not needing a PC at all. And, well, stick to class compliant usb.

This is more a general inquiry, more of a buying decision helper, as I do not have this device yet. But as they are supposed to be back in stock shortly, it is time to get serious. If this is the wrong subforum to ask this, lets call it pre sales inquiry, please feel free to move it around.

My proposed setup is rather simple:

I have all 5 DIN inputs connected, one USB host and one device on TRS-A. Makes up for 7 input devices, whereas 9 instruments are connected to DIN out 1-9.

As to be guessed from the topic, I would like to do channel based routing/merging. That is, everything, on any of the 7 inputs, that is being send in on midi channel 1, is being merged an send to DIN  out 1, everything on any connected input on midi channel 2 is being merged and send out to DIN output 2, you get the idea, continue up to midi channel 8 to DIN out 8.
Finally,  everything on any input on midi channels 10-12 is being routed to DIN out 9. Just 1:1 routing and merging, no channel rewrite needed. 

I addition, midi clock is being received on the TRS input jack, and filtered on all other inputs, but only distributed to DIN out ports 1,3 and 5. So I would need filtering on the output ports as well.

Could that setup be accomplished with the MRCC? Not sure, wether there are enough layers for channel based routing, if possible at all? Maybe I just have not comprehended the videos well enough, in this case please bear with me.

I am not a native speaker, so if anything is unclear, please feel free to ask

Thanks
Maybe -- note that I'm looking at the docs and not in front of my MRCC.

Using the Channel to Port mapping (bottom of page 34, 35 of the manual) and then using Channel Map (page 29) you could end up with MIDI data being sent from Channel 5 being output to port #5 and preserve the original MIDI channel (5). If you don't need the receiving devices to see the original MIDI channel, then using just the Channel to Port Map will work.
It should be possible to do what you mentioned above as long as the 9 outputs are able to monitor MIDI on channel 1. The way the mod works is that you can place it on any routing, say input port 3 to output port 2 and it will take all MIDI on channel 2 and send just that MIDI information to output 2, but it outputs it on port 2 channel 1.

You can do this on each of the routings between all inputs 7 and output 2 and it should merge all channel 2 MIDI data and send it out to Port 2 channel 1.

You could repeat this for the other routings, however this would create 63 routings and the current maximum is 50, so at this point there is still a bit of a stumbling block. I expect that the 50 routing limit will be altered as we continue to update the firmware, but for now it seems like that will put a damper on you doing what your are hoping to do here.

Jesse
Thanks very much for both your replies. I have printed out the manual and will have a closer look the next days as bedtime lecture.

What I may not have made clear properly is, I do not want any channel remapping. What goes in on channel 2 [on any of the inport ports] goes out on channel 2. And port 2. Same for channel 3, all messages on any input will be routed to out port 3, and the channel stays the same.

Basically all the channel 3 data from any input port gets merged (an mostly clock filtered) to a single channel 3 stream, that is then directed to out port 3. Same for the others, just that out port 9 will feature 3 channels (10, 11, 12), instead of a single as on the first eight out ports.

Hopefully that makes more sense. No rewrite of any kind. Maybe that makes things a little easier.
I've just re-read this section of the manual and my recollection that the channels re-routed with this mod are shifted to always output on channel 1 is correct. You would need to set the downstream devices to all be listening on channel 1 for this to work.
Jesse
(09-22-2021, 09:51 AM)Jesse Johannesen Wrote: I've just re-read this section of the manual and my recollection that the channels re-routed with this mod are shifted to always output on channel 1 is correct. You would need to set the downstream devices to all be listening on channel 1 for this to work.
Jesse

Couldn't you create a chain of modifiers to rechannel 1 to whatever you want after the port thing?
No, I don't think it would work, but let me talk it out here and see:
So we have channel map MOD which allows us to map 4 channels and we only have 6 variations (presets). So we get Port 1 to channel 1 for free, then for channel 2 we would set variation 1 to map 1 to 2. Here's where we run into trouble. It would be great if we could send 1 channel to multiple channels out, but the channel map mod doesn't let us map 1 input port to multiple outputs, and so since we used 1 to 2 in variation 1, we cant make a map of 1 to 3 in the same variation, we would have to save an entire variation for each of the following: 1 to 2, 1 to 3, 1 to 4, one to 5, 1 to 6 , then we run out after 1 to 7 leaving us short for 8 and 9.
(09-22-2021, 04:00 PM)Jesse Johannesen Wrote: No, I don't think it would work, but let me talk it out here and see:
So we have channel map MOD which allows us to map 4 channels and we only have 6 variations (presets). So we get Port 1 to channel 1 for free, then for channel 2 we would set variation 1 to map 1 to 2. Here's where we run into trouble. It would be great if we could send 1 channel to multiple channels out, but the channel map mod doesn't let us map 1 input port to multiple outputs, and so since we used 1 to 2 in variation 1, we cant make a map of 1 to 3 in the same variation, we would have to save an entire variation for each of the following: 1 to 2, 1 to 3, 1 to 4, one to 5, 1 to 6 , then we run out after 1 to 7 leaving us short for 8 and 9.

I've been away from my gear/setup so I couldn't test my idea before posting, but you are saying it *would* work for 6 ports.
So that's in some ways better than not at all.

Point being, there is a way (for a limited number of mappings) to make this work.  I'm guessing increasing the number of mappings that can be created is not on the table?
(others have asked for an increase in other threads for different reasons as well)
Thanks all very much. I now have read the manual as well, should habe done so before, but did not think about it, and now I have a better understanding of the way it works. It does do it somehow, but really rather limited.
Not only that the output channel is fixed to one, but also, additionally it is tied to the port. While I can route Channel 2 to Output 2, I could not route channel 5 to output 2.
I guess I have got it.

Thanks very much again for your time!
(09-23-2021, 01:30 AM)oldgearguy Wrote:
(09-22-2021, 04:00 PM)Jesse Johannesen Wrote: No, I don't think it would work, but let me talk it out here and see:

I've been away from my gear/setup so I couldn't test my idea before posting, but you are saying it *would* work for 6 ports.
So that's in some ways better than not at all.

Point being, there is a way (for a limited number of mappings) to make this work.  I'm guessing increasing the number of mappings that can be created is not on the table?
(others have asked for an increase in other threads for different reasons as well)
Yeah it should work for up to 7 ports without too much trouble as described above.

There is currently a software issue preventing more than 50 routings. I imagine that we will figure it out before too long and when we do, I can see that number being expanded. 
Jesse