Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
confused by arpeggiator
How do you turn it off?

As far as I understand it, if the arpeggiator play is set to off (which should be the pause sign) and the latch is set to off, it shouldn't play.

But it is still playing. I don't get it. The play key doesn't seem to turn it off. the latch key seems to work (although I was puzzled by its behavior).

Now that I've tested the arpeggiator, i want to stop it and go back to my regular routing. But it is still arpeggiating. What am I missing? the play is set to the pause sign (have tried both) and the latch is off.

Obviously i can change the routing, or set the clock to an external one, or turn off the internal clock, but I suspect that I'm missing something more basic.
I was hoping other folks would start chiming in by now, but since they haven't, I'll give it a try.

Possible answer first, details later:

Most likely you're hearing a stuck note (or notes).

Getting the arp to run is a bit of a trick since you either use the internal clock (and figure out how to start that) or an external device. Then if you have the source and destination ports and channels correct, pressing the black button when you are in the arp screen will toggle that icon from pause to run (actual icon should probably be a square for stop, but I digress).

Note that pressing the black button to toggle run/stop will not work if the cursor is positioned in the latch/unlatch field.

So given all that, if the arp is running (and especially if it's latched) as you send new notes to it and move around the fields, at some point in time you can unlatch, turn off the arp and still here a repeating note or notes. If you bang on all of your keys on the controller keyboard, eventually you'll find the one that is hanging. I have not been able to narrow down the minimal set of steps needed to reproduce this yet.
i'll have to check whether there is a stuck note....my recollection is a bit hazy now, but I could swear that I thought of that.

I didn't post about it, but I was totally stuck for quite some time since my presupposition was that the internal clock was running. That is generally the case on almost all instruments (?) unless it is overridden by an external clock.

but once you get that, it's pretty easy, and pretty easy to get it to work. I was indeed confused about the latch vs play modes (i just don't understand the manual's verbiage), but ultimately once i got it working, i just wanted the damn thing to stop.

One reason that i didn't think i had stuck notes, is that the arpeggiator would stop playing until i played a note - and then it would arpeggiate even if I had both of the parameters turned off...if the arpeggiator itself were turned off, why would it continue to arpeggiate whenever I hit a note?

(this is all my memory talking, and I certainly may have something wrong here. will post back later once i test it again)
From my testing, I don't think the arpeggiators are bug-free, but I haven't had a lot of time to just bang on them with all kinds of inputs/merging/parameter changing.

For me, having the clock off by default is vastly less confusing than if clocking was on and suddenly you had gear running at 2x tempo or something from receiving dual clock streams.

The arpeggiators are fun for sure and it's worth spending some careful time playing with it and identifying any issues.
yeah - didn't want to imply that the clock should be ON for this device, but maybe that this should be mentioned at the beginning of the documentation.
interesting. I'm having the arpeggio play normally tonight. I can turn it off completely.
(08-16-2021, 08:28 PM)Nelson Baboon Wrote: interesting. I'm having the arpeggio play normally tonight. I can turn it off completely.

Any possibility you had something sending MIDI CCs to/through the MRCC (CC 21, 22 among others target the arpeggiator)
I don't think so - i haven't looked into affecting the mrcc with midi yet, but that wouldn't happen if it went into one of the regular ports would it?
(08-17-2021, 06:01 AM)Nelson Baboon Wrote: I don't think so - i haven't looked into affecting the mrcc with midi yet, but that wouldn't happen if it went into one of the regular ports would it?

Settings Menu (Page 43 of current manual) shows port and channel number that the MRCC listens to for program change and CC messages.
I think the default is still port 1 channel 16.