Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hairpulling rewarded: Studio One DAW integration
Well, there may or may not be any questions in this post, but to document a few details that could potentially help someone else, or at least serve as a reference for myself in the likely event that I'll forget some elements of the setup, I'll describe what it took to pass MIDI from controller to PC to MRCC to synth (well, that last part is easy).

[Edit: NOTE! This entire post, and my first follow up below, turned out to be a massive diversion from a proper workflow, so should just be ignored by all except for gluttons for punishment.  The entry further below (from today) will explain.]

My objective today was to have my controller keyboard / sequencer, the Novation 61SL mk3, to be seen by it's companion Components software, while also doing it's regular duty playing notes on various things, both virtual in the DAW, and physical via MRCC.  Since connecting the SL via USB to the MRCC did not result in the Components software connecting to it (nor was there the indicative 'ding' from the PC announcing a device being discovered) despite passing routed data to synths, I decided to connect the SL directly to the PC and then try to route to the MRCC using the PC device port there, which is where the hairpulling started.  I should mention here that in addition to being new to the MRCC, I've also only recently begun to use my Studio One 5.x DAW, and for that matter most everything else in my setup, so there's a significant aspect of needing to get up to speed on multiple systems at once, which is no mean feat, even though my theoretical understanding is more than adequate; just haven't ever had the opportunity to physically familiarize myself with it all, especially the DAW.

If there are other ways of accomplishing this relatively common setup objective, I'd certainly like to hear what they are, but for me it worked out that setting up the DAW properly was critical to passing the data through.  Looking in the Device Manager in Windows 10 did not reveal the MRCC so far as I could determine, but Studio One did show a list of the 12 virtual connections if I looked at either the 'receive from' or 'send to' dropdowns in the setup of other external devices (such as the controller), beginning with 'MRCC' and 'MIDIOUT 2 (MRCC)' through to 'MIDIOUT 12 (MRCC).'  However, selecting one of these as a choice did not appear to result in the MRCC or downstream devices receiving a signal.  This is where the considerable hairpulling came into play.  For all I knew, the DAW might not even be necessary to accomplish the task, but at the least it should be capable, and I since worked out how.

In addition to the devices already listed in the 'External Devices' part of Studio One's setup box, the desired MRCC port needed to be added as a device as well (so you have to create, i.e. 'add' one, as it's obviously not already in the list of preselected equipment choices) and then you still have to configure it to 'Send To' itself (this is one of those aspects of software configuration that is not particularly intuitive), and THEN, since you still have no joy from this configuration yet, you must, apparently, create a track in the sequencer part of the DAW using the newly created MRCC device as an external instrument and do a bit of final setup on the track, things like MIDI channel assignment and controller source selection, in my case the Novation SL.  After all that, I finally got my synth on MRCC DIN output 1 to play.

Now that this has been worked out, next I'd like to see if feeding the controller through the MRCC will still allow it's librarian program to connect to it, although I'm a bit skeptical, but we'll see tomorrow or whenever as it's too late now to open more cans of worms.
My advice would have been to use the MIDI controller's USB connection for controlling the Librarian and DAW and patch the DIN out to one of the MRCC DIN input ports. I can't work out in my head if that would create any issues, but I think it should work OK, and you should still be visible to the Librarian.
Jesse
(08-08-2021, 01:04 PM)Jesse Johannesen Wrote: My advice would have been to use the MIDI controller's USB connection for controlling the Librarian and DAW and patch the DIN out to one of the MRCC DIN input ports. I can't work out in my head if that would create any issues, but I think it should work OK, and you should still be visible to the Librarian.
Jesse

Thanks, Jesse.  I configured it like this and it does work.  In the DAW, I've set some instruments to receive from the controller via USB directly, and others to pick up the feed via DIN to the MRCC, and the connection to the Components software is active due to the direct to PC connection.  Perhaps I'm biting off a lot to chew in one sitting, but the reason for not only wanting to route from keyboard to synth, but also through the PC and back, is to capture MIDI note data in the DAW sequencer sometimes, to be played back later.  The MRCC integration with the DAW still requires the same (or revised, more below) 'External Devices' setup irrespective of it's physical connections (USB, DIN, TRS), and it's this configuration in the software that I'm just coming to grips with a bit better.  This is all on the Studio One side, the MRCC is fine, except for the apparent limitation of the controller talking to it's librarian when going through the MRCC instead of directly to PC, so if that's the way it is, I can live with that, but if at some point it becomes workable, that would be nice.  Another reason to be conservative with inputs is that the number of devices I have, such as drum machines and groove boxes, with built in sequencers that may occasionally need their MIDI outputs to get passed along to other things, is in excess of the available MRCC inputs, even including the second one scheduled to arrive this week.

Returning to the DAW configuration challenge from yesterday (again, in case this helps anyone) I made some progress today: because of the myriad options in the program, some of the trees get lost in the forest.  When adding the first MRCC 'device' for whatever reason I made it an 'Instrument' (besides the prepopulated list, there are three sort of blank slate starting categories, 'Keyboard,' 'Instrument,' and 'Controller) which is the reason, presumably, for needing to make that MRCC port an instrument track in a song to pass data to that port.  It turns out that if you select 'Keyboard' instead, that newly created 'device' isn't an instrument to be the basis for a track, it is now rather one of the controllers available for any conventional instrument (virtual or real) track to pass MIDI data from and to, which is probably closer the the proper configuration, whereas having it as an 'Instrument' seems more like a workaround, although similar in terms of setup.  Additionally, the destination synth needs a track assigned in the program, and a bit of controller and channel source and destination setup, which I'm still fumbling with to nail down reliably so I can repeat it successfully, but we're getting there.  I was able to have MIDI travelling bi-directionally through the MRCC, from the keyboard to the PC, and from the PC to the synth, all at the same time, so a happy achievement there.  Depending on how many of the 12 virtual ports will be needed, they must each now be added as individual 'Keyboard' 'External Devices' in the program, and possibly (still trying to figure this out) each synth or similar would need to be an 'Instrument' 'External Device' also in order to use in a track, although maybe just one generic 'outboard synth' entry might work for all.  More experimentation is required, but at least I feel like I'm over the hump.  If any of you DAW jockeys, Studio One especially, have anything to add, please chime in if you think I'm on the right track, or if there are better ways of doing this setup.
Hopefully the final word on this.  It turns out my whole approach to this was an unnecessary circuitous path to a result, and the best avenue is significantly more efficient.  Before I go on, let me just say I'll be happy to delete this entire thread if it's too DAW-centric and not useful enough for MRCC discussions.

Anyway, making the MIDI signal flow through the DAW doesn't require any new 'External Devices' to be added for the MRCC ports, so long as any controllers, keyboards, and instruments being used are added that way.  Then each one of those needs to be setup to either receive from itself in the prepopulated dropdown lists, in the case of a USB keyboard to PC connection, or from the relevant MRCC port in the list, if being routed that way.  The external instrument being used for a track, if being fed MIDI from the MRCC, must be setup with the chosen controller from the previous step, and the MRCC port in the 'send to' option selected, and that's all.  It's much simpler than I thought, though not particularly obvious at first glance.  I did also see something in a tutorial that referred to a way of using an instrument prior to being in a track, but I need to review that again to work out that possibility.
No don't delete it, this info may be very useful for someone else down the road who wants to do the same thing. Glad you were able to get it sorted out.
Jesse