Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
routing question
I'm currently a bit lost, and trying to set up some more complex routings.

I have 2 mrccs connected. Let's call them mrcc1 and mrcc2.

The second one is next to a squarp pyramid sequencer. I have plugged the usb port from the pyramid into the usb port 1 on mrcc2.

Now, one of the things that I'm not sure about is the directionality of this connection between the mrccs. Obviously, the ethernet cable itself doesn't establish a master/slave relationship, so I'm a bit confused. Up until now, i've been assuming that I had to set up the routings on mrcc1 so that I could send data to either mrcc. But if there is no direction to the connection, that wouldn't matter?

Where should I set up this routing, and how exactly would I do it? Say, if I wanted to record from a keyboard into the pyramid? (the keyboard is right by the second mrcc also). So, if I plug the midi out of the keyboard into the the din input one of mrcc2, i should be able to route these like any other in/out connections? But if I wanted to connect to this keyboard from a midi controller near the other mrcc - how exactly would I do this?

If I figure this all out tonight I will post. I guess the idea is to set this up step by step and test whether it's working at each step.
If I understand your question correctly, anything connected to the same MRCC is routed as normal.  Things that are being routed between two MRCCs are routed from whichever MRCC has the source, the selection for the destination is made there using the 'Y' button next to output 12, the same as when you route to a Remote 7.  So in your example, if you're sending from the Keyboard on MRCC-1 to the Pyramid on MRCC-2, select the source for the keyboard on #1, press and hold the 'Y' button also on #1, and select the out port there on MRCC-1 (even though the Pyramid is on #2).  I don't have my second MRCC yet to try this, but it did work for the Remote 7.  All the details are on p. 49 of the manual, near the bottom.  Hope this helps.
not sure i articulated the question well.

you do seem to verify that the connections are bidirectional - one mrcc doesn't have 'priority' over the other.

the main objective now is to get this working within mrcc2 first. I have simply not been able to send data out of the pyramid into the usb port, and then out to a synth (now on din output #5). totally not sure why. Once that is working, I think (based on the fact that you can set up routings from either mrcc) I can get it to work from a controller on mrcc1 to mrcc2.

if I'm working for now totally within a single mrcc, i don't think i need to press the Y button at all.
MIDI is a one directional signal, so any routings made from MRCC 1 to MRCC2 would be one way, so if you want to send MIDI from MRCC 2 to MRCC1, you will need to set up a separate MIDI routing on MRCC2 and make the MRCC1 Port you wish to send to it's target.
I know we were hearing some feedback regarding how to get the Pyramid to work with the MRCC, I'll see if I can find that and post a link here for you. I think it had something to do with boot both devices and then connect them together, but I can't remember well enough to guarantee that was it.
Jesse
well, after all of that, I realized that I actually was understanding the routing, and that the reason why the connection wasn't working seemed to be a faulty usb cable or something else in the connection. I replaced the usb cable and suddenly the data was being passed.

(08-07-2021, 07:43 PM)Jesse Johannesen Wrote: MIDI is a one directional signal, so any routings made from MRCC 1 to MRCC2 would be one way, so if you want to send MIDI from MRCC 2 to MRCC1, you will need to set up a separate MIDI routing on MRCC2 and make the MRCC1 Port you wish to send to it's target.
I know we were hearing some feedback regarding how to get the Pyramid to work with the MRCC, I'll see if I can find that and post a link here for you.  I think it had something to do with boot both devices and then connect them together, but I can't remember well enough to guarantee that was it.
Jesse

sorry - look like we posted almost simultaneously. in the way that i was thinking about the directionality of the 2 units - yes, i know that a midi signal is unidirectional. what i meant was that there is no priority between the 2 units when they are connected. It's like one big unit where you're connecting ports in that larger system. My faulty presupposition somehow was that since i had one mrcc and then set up a second one from the first unit, that the first one had some kind of priority.

(08-07-2021, 07:43 PM)Nelson Baboon Wrote: well, after all of that, I realized that I actually was understanding the routing, and that the reason why the connection wasn't working seemed to be a faulty usb cable or something else in the connection. I replaced the usb cable and suddenly the data was being passed.

(08-07-2021, 07:43 PM)Jesse Johannesen Wrote: MIDI is a one directional signal, so any routings made from MRCC 1 to MRCC2 would be one way, so if you want to send MIDI from MRCC 2 to MRCC1, you will need to set up a separate MIDI routing on MRCC2 and make the MRCC1 Port you wish to send to it's target.
I know we were hearing some feedback regarding how to get the Pyramid to work with the MRCC, I'll see if I can find that and post a link here for you.  I think it had something to do with boot both devices and then connect them together, but I can't remember well enough to guarantee that was it.
Jesse

sorry - look like we posted almost simultaneously. in the way that i was thinking about the directionality of the 2 units - yes, i know that a midi signal is unidirectional. what i meant was that there is no priority between the 2 units when they are connected. It's like one big unit where you're connecting ports in that larger system. My faulty presupposition somehow was that since i had one mrcc and then set up a second one from the first unit, that the first one had some kind of priority.
Same thing is happening again with that usb connection from the pyramid. I doubt that it is two bad cables. hmmmm. I suppose that I can just use the din ports on it.
Whenever I'm trying some new routing/filtering/etc with two MRCCs, I *try* to use the DIN/TRS ports as much as possible to prove out the concept. That eliminates the additional step of selecting a virtual port on the USBs/PC port and one less variable to debug. Once I know I have that correct, then I'll move it to the USB.

Or, if I have to use the USB, then I'll set it all up on a single MRCC and once that is OK, delete that route and use the "Y" button to send it across to MRCC #2.
I've had too many weird issues that ended being traced down to a bad cable, simple misconfiguration, or a basic misunderstanding on my part, so the less variables the better to start.
I also tend to press and hold an Input button (and Y button) to see what the current routing is for that port just to verify I have things selected the way I want.