Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
keeping organized.....
That has always been a weakness of mine. I am among the most disorganized people in the world...i used to have a list of those more disorganized than me, but i can't find it...

in any case - I have a fair amount of midi gear, spread across a room that is pretty long, and I am always changing routings and trying out stuff. Thus far, I have mostly experimented with the mrcc in small tests - just to confirm that it will do what I want. Currently I have 1 mrcc + the remote, but i have ordered a second mrcc.

So, I already know from past experience that if I rely on my memory to remember the current configuration, I will spend too much time troubleshooting, or hunched over looking at the mrcc screen. (it's nice, don't get me wrong, but it's small. For me)

I figure that I can use Excel (or NeoOffice which is donation ware, and works fine for my purposes), but I'm wondering if there is something better for this purpose? Do other people rely on the screen? Are they good at simply remembering their set up? I am already fantasizing not relying on my midi interfaces, and hell - i'd love to set up as much of it outside of Ableton (or whatever DAW I'm using) as I can.

Of course, an mrcc software editor would be the ideal solution, but even if this were in the works, i imagine that it will be pretty complex, and probably not in the near future.

I am imagining software that might even allow you to draw the routings, and quickly change the routings around.
(08-04-2021, 08:20 PM)Nelson Baboon Wrote: That has always been a weakness of mine. I am among the most disorganized people in the world...i used to have a list of those more disorganized than me, but i can't find it...

in any case - I have a fair amount of midi gear, spread across a room that is pretty long, and I am always changing routings and trying out stuff. Thus far, I have mostly experimented with the mrcc in small tests - just to confirm that it will do what I want. Currently I have 1 mrcc + the remote, but i have ordered a second mrcc.

So, I already know from past experience that if I rely on my memory to remember the current configuration, I will spend too much time troubleshooting, or hunched over looking at the mrcc screen. (it's nice, don't get me wrong, but it's small. For me)

I figure that I can use Excel (or NeoOffice which is donation ware, and works fine for my purposes), but I'm wondering if there is something better for this purpose? Do other people rely on the screen? Are they good at simply remembering their set up? I am already fantasizing not relying on my midi interfaces, and hell - i'd love to set up as much of it outside of Ableton (or whatever DAW I'm using) as I can.

Of course, an mrcc software editor would be the ideal solution, but even if this were in the works, i imagine that it will be pretty complex, and probably not in the near future.

I am imagining software that might even allow you to draw the routings, and quickly change the routings around.

I use a simple spreadsheet that has my MIDI info and (in my case) hardware mixer channel info on one spreadsheet.  I have a copy of that around as a quick overview reference.
I also created a couple simple tables that I cut out and tape near my controllers.  Those tables show all the possible MIDI sources and which MRCC port they use and a table that shows all the possible MIDI destinations, their MRCC port, and the nominal MIDI channel they are set to for receiving data.

Currently, I've been manually changing routes as needed on the MRCC, but eventually I'll set up a few default configurations and save myself from having to reset routes all the time.

Attached is a copy of what I'm talking about (some sources/destinations just have a number w/o the 'M' prefix.  Those are still sitting on my Sycologic MIDI PB since even w. two MRCCs I don't have quite enough I/O).

Attached Files
.xlsx   example.xlsx (Size: 56.89 KB / Downloads: 3)