Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Connect two MRCCs and a Remote 7
(08-04-2021, 06:35 PM)Dark Waves Wrote: This is a cool tip, I'll be getting one of these splitters to go with the second MRCC I just ordered.  Couple of questions:

The verbiage you've used here and elsewhere about cable specs, specifically shielded connectors, is often absent in descriptions on store pages, even if shielded cables are specified.  Is there a minimum cable type that will always meet the requirement, say Cat6 or Cat6a or something else?  I have one of these that I was hoping to use between the two MRCCs: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1...gless.html

With 2 MRCCs working in tandem, will both need to be connected via USB to the computer for a) firmware updates, and / or b) routing to a DAW?

Do the 6 pins on the splitter being trimmed as short as possible pose any kind of shorting potential, or are the contacts in the cable connector far forward enough to preclude a likely short?

Thanks!

We also found that its not always easy to identify the shielded cables on some shops. If its labeled CAT6a (or greater) Shielded, that is a pretty good sign. The best indicator is that it has the metal shroud over the connectors. Those are the shields we need and are what connects ground from MRCC to Remote 7. The shields on the connectors must be connected to each other via a drain wire in the Ethernet cable. I don't know why anyone would use shielded connectors and not connect them, but you never know. Best to stick with reputable suppliers.

You will need to connect each MRCC to the computer, one at a time, to do FW updates. 
They can both be connected by USB to your computer if you need both showing up in your DAW. That would be the most efficient way to route to specific outputs from the DAW, rather than routing from the DAW to the first MRCC, then routing to the other MRCC. That's more complication and adds an extra hop that will add latency. 

Jesse is correct, in our experience, as long as you trim the pins close to the socket housing its good enough. If for some reason the trimmed pin is touching a pin on the cable, it would only cause one of the MIDI ports on Remote 7 to malfunction. It won't physically damage anything. In that case, maybe try filing the pins down further with a nail file.

Messages In This Thread
Connect two MRCCs and a Remote 7 - by Darryl - 08-03-2021, 07:08 PM
RE: Connect two MRCCs and a Remote 7 - by Darryl - 08-03-2021, 07:13 PM
RE: Connect two MRCCs and a Remote 7 - by Darryl - 08-04-2021, 12:08 PM
RE: Connect two MRCCs and a Remote 7 - by Darryl - 08-04-2021, 12:59 PM
RE: Connect two MRCCs and a Remote 7 - by Darryl - 08-05-2021, 12:47 PM
RE: Connect two MRCCs and a Remote 7 - by Darryl - 08-26-2021, 12:24 PM
RE: Connect two MRCCs and a Remote 7 - by Darryl - 12-07-2021, 01:17 PM
RE: Connect two MRCCs and a Remote 7 - by Kent - 04-08-2023, 02:10 PM
RE: Connect two MRCCs and a Remote 7 - by Darryl - 04-08-2023, 04:05 PM
RE: Connect two MRCCs and a Remote 7 - by Kent - 04-10-2023, 07:05 AM