Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
midi clock
Hi, I'm all set up using an Arturia keystep into the MRCC. This is driving a bunch of synths. The sequences themselves are in sync with my ERM multiclock (one of the outs from this is running into the Keystep midi in). But the timed effects like delays etc on all the synths are not receiving the midi clock. Looking at the MRCC the red clock triangle is displaying on the relevant row on the activity page as I believe it should be? 
I have merged other sequencing sources like the Elektron Octatrack so I can run multiple sequences if I want to. I figured midi was getting clogged but when I disable it doesn't resolve the clocking issue.

Previously I've been using the Blokkas Midihub and clocks from the ERM were hitting the synths and being synced up with no problem. I feel I must be missing something simple here, but I can't figure this from the manual. I wondered if anybody could help out? 

Finally I wondered if anybody knew of a way to quickly 'mute' a midi in and its corresponding outs on the MRCC? Perhaps this isn't an easy option and may need to be a requested feature in another thread..

Thanking you kindly
What happens if you run the ERM directly into the MRCC?  Does it get distributed properly?  You have to explicitly map whatever input has the clock signal to all the outputs that need it.

The reason for asking is that I have a KeyStep and Multiclock and it's been working fine.
However, I have the ERM and keyStep on separate ports on the MRCC rather than chain ERM to KeyStep to MRCC.

For me, it made more sense since I can then use just the start/stop on the ERM to drive everything (including the KeyStep arpeggiator).
It also means I'm not sending MIDI note info to a bunch of gear (like a delay module) that doesn't need to see it.
(08-03-2021, 07:50 AM)oldgearguy Wrote: What happens if you run the ERM directly into the MRCC?  Does it get distributed properly?  You have to explicitly map whatever input has the clock signal to all the outputs that need it.

The reason for asking is that I have a KeyStep and Multiclock and it's been working fine.
However, I have the ERM and keyStep on separate ports on the MRCC rather than chain ERM to KeyStep to MRCC.

For me, it made more sense since I can then use just the start/stop on the ERM to drive everything (including the KeyStep arpeggiator).
It also means I'm not sending MIDI note info to a bunch of gear (like a delay module) that doesn't need to see it.

Thank you for the quick reply. If I run the ERM direct into any midi in, select an output (lit blue) to the synth then there is no sync. Is this what you mean by the mapping? Navigating the menus so far has me a little confused right now as I only got this earlier today.
(08-03-2021, 08:12 AM)pipwilliams Wrote:
(08-03-2021, 07:50 AM)oldgearguy Wrote: What happens if you run the ERM directly into the MRCC?  Does it get distributed properly?  You have to explicitly map whatever input has the clock signal to all the outputs that need it.

Thank you for the quick reply. If I run the ERM direct into any midi in, select an output (lit blue) to the synth then there is no sync. Is this what you mean by the mapping? Navigating the menus so far has me a little confused right now as I only got this earlier today.

So you first select the input and you get the LED below the input port with the ERM connected to light up.  Then you press one or more output ports so they light up.  That is the connection/route from the ERM to the destination.  As long as the ERM and target machines are connected using either DIN or TRS, there should be no other steps needed.  So you should see a green LED plus one or more blue LEDs.

If that's not working, did you happen to turn on clock filtering?  You can check by going to the Routing Screen page and looking at the icons for the In -> Out route you are using.  Page 25 of the manual has the details. 

If you're using USB or the PC port, there's an additional step to select a virtual port on that interface.
(08-03-2021, 09:13 AM)oldgearguy Wrote:
(08-03-2021, 08:12 AM)pipwilliams Wrote:

So you first select the input and you get the LED below the input port with the ERM connected to light up.  Then you press one or more output ports so they light up.  That is the connection/route from the ERM to the destination.  As long as the ERM and target machines are connected using either DIN or TRS, there should be no other steps needed.  So you should see a green LED plus one or more blue LEDs.

If that's not working, did you happen to turn on clock filtering?  You can check by going to the Routing Screen page and looking at the icons for the In -> Out route you are using.  Page 25 of the manual has the details. 

If you're using USB or the PC port, there's an additional step to select a virtual port on that interface.

I did have some filtering saved, I hold my hands up here this was totally my bad, as I say the menu system is taking me some getting used to... A restart and loading another user preset has sorted this now. Thanks for taking the time to get back to me. 

One final thing if I may. Do you know if there is a limit to the number of ports that can be merged? For example if I have 5 different midi sequencers and each needs to have the option of routing its specific sequence to, say, 10 synths at any given time, would this be possible? Clearly this is an unlikely situation and would require 50 merged outputs, but a scaled down version of this is a possibility for me. I would need to filter out certain data to avoid general weirdness, but rather than loading up saved states it would be nice to have the option on any given day to work with different midi sequencers as the mood takes you and have everything routed. The option of muting would be really handy eg if the Octatrack has a sequence running and you want to change over to the Keystep a mute of one to avoid anything being merged would be ace. As far as I can see any filtering takes place across a global state rather than per port
Filtering can be per port or per route connection.  So if you had ports 1 and 2 being merged and sent to output port 5, you could filter those separately.
Take some time to thumb through the manual.  I agree that the small screen and number of menus/sub-menus can make it challenging at first and you can get lost, but it gets better with practice.

I've abused the merging because I was frankly skeptical that it would handle it without choking, but it's been real solid no matter how much data I was throwing at the merge.
I don't know if there's a maximum the OS can handle as far as managing the number of merges, but the amount of data seems to be no problem.