Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Keith McMillen 12 Step
I'm having issues registering midi input from my Keith McMillen 12 step that I've plugged in via USB. It works when I plug it into my computer, but I'm not seeing any output from the MRCC's own midi monitor. I get a green light from the USB port and I've tried selecting all the "virtual cables" and routing them to different devices but nothing's showing up in the MRCC or any connected devices. I'm wondering if there's a step I'm missing here involving using midi, or if the 12 step is unsupported/needing more setup. I've updated both the MRCC and the 12 step to the latest firmware. I have possible workarounds if I can dig up the midi expander which would just use regular 5 pin cables, but I'd love to make use of the MRCC's USB ports where it makes sense to. Let me know if there's any additional information I can supply!

Update: After a couple hours banging my head against the wall and having trouble keeping track of my work, I literally turned the MRCC on and off with both of the USB devices (this and the Squarp pyramid I've mentioned issues with in the other thread) I've been having trouble with plugged in, and they seemed to work this time. Not sure what clicked, and I'm desperately afraid after getting to the edge of sleep on this problem it's going to all be back to square one in the morning. But it seems like it there's something that needs to happen for the MRCC to "recognize" a midi device that I can force with a reset sometimes. Rewiring my MRCC tomorrow to be responsive to these changes, will update if I get any interesting results.
Oh my god, never turn it off!
Boy, that's frusrtrating. At this point some gear just doesn't work with the USB inputs unfortunately, (or has some fairly specific requirements to dance around). I advise spending some time trying to get it to work, but not so long that you need to convalesce afterwards. I don't know what precisely happens when they're reset that isn't happening normally, but for some gear, it want's to be powered up before it's connected, so it all has a sort of voodoo feeling where who really knows at this point. I imagine there will be some discoveries down the road that may bring some light to the issue, but without having the specific devices in our lab for testing, it's hard to guess, and it's still equally likely to be something that we're powerless to change (like another company's midi implementation). For now I offer my sympathy and hope it still works once you get some shut eye. Let me know how it goes.
Jesse

Also the MRCC is only supposed to work VIA USB with Class Compliant MIDI devices, and while it's not so far working with every one, it's probably never going to work with a non class compliant device, so fair warning, you may need to look to see if the device falls into that category.