Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Korg NTS-1 TRS to TRS MIDI cable suggestions?
Question 
I have started experimenting with the 3.5mm TRS outputs (number 11 and 12) connecting to the Korg NTS-1 with a straight (stereo audio) 3.5mm TRS cable. 

Unfortunately the NTS-1 doesn't receive any MIDI data using that cable. Neither the A or B flavors of the TRS ports work.

Using a TRS to MIDI conversion cable on the NTS-1 side works fine, but in that case I will "loose"  a MIDI port on the MRCC. As I have all MIDI out ports on the MRCC in use already, I would like to use the TRS ports as well.

Does anyone have any suggestion on which cable to use to connect 3.5mm TRS on both sides (MRCC and NTS-1)?
DAW-less and going down the Eurorack rabbit hole.
I have TRS cable (stereo cable) from MRCC 12A to NTS-1 and works without any problems. You may check NTS-1 sync configuration. I guess routing in MRCC is turned on?
I managed to get it to work with two TRS to MIDI converter cable on both sides (MRCC and NTS-1). Connecting them together with a standard MIDI cable. Bit convoluted but it works. Looks like I have a defective TRS to TRS cable. Audio works fine with the "broken" cable, perhaps it isn't good enough quality for a low bandwidth digital signal.

Thanks for the feedback, good to know that it is supposed to work. Now I can start using the MRCC extender.
Yeah it should be cable agnostic. I've had no issues getting the 1/8 inch ports to work except figuring out which port to use (A or B). I'd say try a different cable if you get a chance, or keep using the workaround if that works for you.
Jesse
As someone who makes all their own midi cables here's something you may find helpful:
https://www.midi.org/midi-articles/updat...din-cables

kind regards
(08-02-2021, 03:18 AM)Landstrom Wrote: As someone who makes all their own midi cables here's something you may find helpful:
https://www.midi.org/midi-articles/updat...din-cables

kind regards

Thanks Landstrom, the issue is actually a lot more simple. A straight TRS to TRS cable should work. I just got confused because my audio cable, which had many many years of use (perhaps that is the problem  Wink ) as audio cable, ought to work. Unfortunately it didn't. I used two TRS to MIDI converter cables to make sure the MRCC is OK, which happily it is.

I have also successfully used the extender in the same way. 

MRCC --> included shielded "non-Ethernet" Ethernet cable --> MRCC Extender --> TRS to MIDI --> MIDI to TRS --> Korg NTS-1. 

I have made several tracks now using the MRCC and it's extender, it is working perfectly. My good old A-880 is retiring after many years of hard work.