Poll: How Long an Ethernet Cable do you Need for Remote 7?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
10 Meters is great, it can reach anyplace in my studio
57.14%
4 57.14%
I don't have far to go, 3 meters would be enough
0%
0 0%
I need to get to another room, how about 15 meters
14.29%
1 14.29%
Shorter would be less messy, say about 5 meters
28.57%
2 28.57%
Total 7 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Remote 7 Ethernet Cable Length
Question 
We are currently including a 10 Meter Ethernet cable with orders of the MRCC Remote 7. We would like to get a feel for whether this is a good default length or is it overkill? After completing the survey, feel free to comment below.
I was surprised by the length, but too long is always better than too short.
Longer the better. I’m going to install mine today and will reply to the poll.
Medium length of 5 meters feels like a good compromise, since it's longer than most MIDI cables and acts as a sort of snake for the majority of small studio configurations where most equipment is clustered in one area anyway. It's plenty long for most runs, but not so long as to have a pile of it sitting unused. Mind you, I don't mind having the longer one available, but I've already ordered a 20' one to install in my setup, so if I could to pick any length to be included, 7 meters would be just about right.
(08-02-2021, 01:38 PM)Dark Waves Wrote: Medium length of 5 meters feels like a good compromise, since it's longer than most MIDI cables and acts as a sort of snake for the majority of small studio configurations where most equipment is clustered in one area anyway.  It's plenty long for most runs, but not so long as to have a pile of it sitting unused.  Mind you, I don't mind having the longer one available, but I've already ordered a 20' one to install in my setup, so if I could to pick any length to be included, 7 meters would be just about right.

I've got a decent size space in my basement for studio and office. And still have a lot of length left coiled up after stretching across the room to a rack. However, if I wanted to snake around the perimeter to prevent tripping hazards, it would need to be even longer. I just scream, watch out for that cable!!! every time my wife walks by. Big Grin Man cave not safe!
Every time I lay a new cable I just add a new rug over it. My living room has like 40 rugs now. It's pretty swanky, and they really tie the room together Wink
In my case 10m was too long (5m would have been fine).
The single 10m flat cable replaced about a dozen or more 30+ foot MIDI cables in my setup.  I was able to use a bunch of smaller MIDI cables from the second MRCC to various devices which made the overall setup tidier.

If I ever move/reconfigure, having the ability to set up two MRCCs in different sections of the studio keeps all the excess cabling to a minimum.

The 10m length was more than I needed ***at this particular moment in time*** but as everyone knows - you will reconfigure and your existing cables will be too short.   Big Grin
I always try to leave slack for pulling gear out of the rack/stand and leave slack behind the patchbays for the same reason.
Is this just a regular Cat5e cable? I only need 3M, can I order on Amazon?
(10-11-2021, 06:42 AM)Raphie Wrote: Is this just a regular Cat5e cable? I only need 3M, can I order on Amazon?

In some other threads here, and in the appendix A of the manual "Optional MIDI Remote Devices," mentions are made of RJ45 cables with shielded connectors, Cat 5 or above.  My impression is that many may not qualify, and may or may not work reliably.  For my setup connecting two MRCCs together (same requirements as for the Remote 7) I ordered this cable, which comes in various lengths, and has proven capable: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1...gless.html