Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help with Control Change composition / latency
(07-19-2021, 09:05 AM)Kid Yoshi Wrote:
(07-18-2021, 09:15 PM)Jesse Johannesen Wrote: Hey Yoshi, I still would like to know if the notes you are experiencing during key changes are on the pad part or on other parts. If you are able to test that let me know. I'm going to plug mine in right now and see if I can reproduce this on my device.
Jesse

They're on the pad part. Changing key (via CC) will broadcast notes on the Pad channel and those notes hit out of sync with placed Notes since there is some latency between CC and Notes. 

I think my breakdown above is pretty much as it is, I played with the NDLR this weekend and it worked ok as long as I accounted for the quirks outlined above. Changing key works if I change Preset (with the new key) via a Program Change. The only issue is, it's a straight jump where I would prefer a smoother key change by leading up to the new key change 1 bar early.

As I mention, if the only CC change that generated notes was CC26 and all other CCs simply make data changes but do not produce notes then that would be the best scenario. Of course, having CCs processed on beat would be even better...  Wink
I agree 1000% with you. Now I just use the chord sequencer to do a key modulation because it seems more efficient...but then I still have sync issue.

It would be great to have the option for the keys to be played when doing a key modulation or when changing the position of the chord....but I think that the NDLR’s design doesn’t see this as anything more than an arbitrary ambient pad on 1/8th or 1/4 notes vs a tool for precision placement of harmonic clusters of notes. 

So this translates into risky business when there is a parent clock that the NDLR is running off of and there is a drum machine running off of that same parent clock in a parallel scheme.

Good for ambient? It can be.

Good for the solid sync necessary to address other genres? There are still fundamental challenges in how the unit keeps time in a subordinate sense. As in 1/4 and 1/8 note lags and deviations are immediately sensed in the music composition and it can be a real stress performing live when things go south because of these unplanned and unprovoked deviations. 

And it really should not be that hard to see and maintain a consistent eye on.

I would gladly sacrifice the number of pads voices en lieu of precision pad note placement options and a rhythm editor for the pads(so we could have chord stabs)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Help with Control Change composition / latency - by Ghostz_of_Moar - 07-24-2021, 11:23 AM