Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
saving settings, etc.....
Since my first 2 posts here are complaints of various sorts (previous one complained about the documentation), I want to mention first how thrilled I am with the NDLR. I had one once before, didn't have much in the way of midi synths at the time, and eventually realized that I should sell it if it wasn't been used.

But yeah. Damn. I pretty much do 'noise music', meaning in this context that I don't care about what key I'm in, etc, and am more timbrally focused than harmonically focused....so the ndlr might seem like a strange choice (and ultimately i'll probably have some requests to try to make it more flexible for silly people like me), but i think unless you're starting with white noise or something similar, the starting point is always something more down to earth, which is then mutated in various ways at various levels. And the ndlr seems great for that....the idea is to learn it thoroughly as a starting point for various loopers and crazy devices like the cocoquantus.

Sorry for the long preamble. I didn't want people to think that I'm not enthusiastic about the machine.

ok - I ran into a strange issue, and after troubleshooting it for a bit, I figured that I should maybe reboot the ndlr in case something was stuck somehow. (what was happening was that pressing play/stop for the pad had no effect at all. I couldn't turn it off. it would briefly flash that it was off, but then toggle back to on). I would be interested in what that could be (probably some kind of dumb user error, or maybe that it's that I"m using the latest beta, or who the hell knows), but what I ran into was that settings were not saved automatically.

Now, I get that you can save multiple 'sets' of settings, but I really wish that the working settings would just be retained when turning the machine off/on. Hell, I'd even wish that the entire working state of the machine would be retained when recycling the power. Is that technically possible? Wouldn't that be desirable?

It looks like doing that global save saves everything? It's easy to do, and of course a long time user should be familiar with having to save one's work. I guess that this is one area where I came to really like the elektron aesthetic where everything was just retained on a reboot.

Well, apologies again. I'd love to hear from people who are using the ndlr to make strange atonal music.
(07-10-2021, 03:18 PM)Nelson Baboon Wrote: Since my first 2 posts here are complaints of various sorts (previous one complained about the documentation), I want to mention first how thrilled I am with the NDLR. I had one once before, didn't have much in the way of midi synths at the time, and eventually realized that I should sell it if it wasn't been used.

But yeah. Damn. I pretty much do 'noise music', meaning in this context that I don't care about what key I'm in, etc, and am more timbrally focused than harmonically focused....so the ndlr might seem like a strange choice (and ultimately i'll probably have some requests to try to make it more flexible for silly people like me), but i think unless you're starting with white noise or something similar, the starting point is always something more down to earth, which is then mutated in various ways at various levels. And the ndlr seems great for that....the idea is to learn it thoroughly as a starting point for various loopers and crazy devices like the cocoquantus.

Sorry for the long preamble. I didn't want people to think that I'm not enthusiastic about the machine.

ok - I ran into a strange issue, and after troubleshooting it for a bit, I figured that I should maybe reboot the ndlr in case something was stuck somehow. (what was happening was that pressing play/stop for the pad had no effect at all. I couldn't turn it off. it would briefly flash that it was off, but then toggle back to on). I would be interested in what that could be (probably some kind of dumb user error, or maybe that it's that I"m using the latest beta, or who the hell knows), but what I ran into was that settings were not saved automatically.

Now, I get that you can save multiple 'sets' of settings, but I really wish that the working settings would just be retained when turning the machine off/on. Hell, I'd even wish that the entire working state of the machine would be retained when recycling the power. Is that technically possible? Wouldn't that be desirable?

It looks like doing that global save saves everything? It's easy to do, and of course a long time user should be familiar with having to save one's work. I guess that this is one area where I came to really like the elektron aesthetic where everything was just retained on a reboot.

Well, apologies again. I'd love to hear from people who are using the ndlr to make strange atonal music.
Hi Nelson,
It's good to hear you're liking the NDLR. If you are looking for a tool to unleash some weird music the NDLR is quite adaptable if you look in the right places.

Your play/pause issue likely comes down to a modulation matrix setting with the pad part enable as the target. You should be able to turn that off in the Mod Matrix, but while we're learning the NDLR it's also worth mentioning that you should also be able to "mute" the modulation targeting each part by pressing [SHIFT+PLAY/PAUSE] for an individual part, and for all parts via [SHIFT+PLAY/PAUSE ALL]. On screen there will be a color change to indicate the channel is modulation 'muted', I believe. 

As for saving and loading, I think the NDLR simply loads the last save slot you've saved to, so if you have a template you like to load when booting, then after saving in one of the other slots it may be worth loading the template you want to be the default load state, and saving it again without editing, just so it's the last one you saved. 

The save slots save almost everything, with the exceptions being those options which are set in the boot menu (Accessed by pressing [SHIFT + MENU] while booting up. This is both really handy, and kind of a pain, because consequently this is the reason there are limits to what can and can't be implemented in the firmware for the most part. We're about out of bits of memory for the save slots, so there is no room to add a feature unless it's a very simple on/off feature, and even then it has to be weighed carefully as anything we implement now will prevent something down the road and it may be that the later thing could be more crucial, so it's kind of important that we save a little space for those potential critical issues. Does that make sense?

Cheers,
Jesse
yeah. thanks for the response. I never thought of looking in the mod matrix for the issue with the pad not turning off, since the pad first got turned off, and then would automatically come back on. Are the lfos running even when off? I'll have to check that, but i could swear that I tested this by turning off the modulation.
Yeah the LFO runs free, for sure when set to a time rather than a division, I forget if it does when set to a division or not. It should reset LFO phase to zero when set to a division and given a start stop all, however, I believe.
(07-11-2021, 08:47 AM)Jesse Johannesen Wrote: The save slots save almost everything, with the exceptions being those options which are set in the boot menu (Accessed by pressing [SHIFT + MENU] while booting up.

Unfortunately, the save slots do not save the Chord Sequencer.
That's true. I have added that in the feature requests.