Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pc usb port
Hello conductive labs team
I've received the mrcc and i'm really happy with it. Thanks for this great device!

I would like to suggest an update for the pc usb port: from 12 to 16 virtual midi ports if possible.
Why ? Because there are 12 midi din out ports AND 4 USB ports. Total: 16.
Unhappilly if I assign the 12 virtual midi ports (pc usb) to the midi din out, i can't anymore use the 4 usb ports ... 

Thanks
Yo
Well I can see what you mean, but I can't think of a use case where you would need to use all 12 ports let alone 16. At 12 that gives you 192 individual channels of MIDI, are you maxing that out already? Can you help me understand why you might want to do what you are suggesting?
Thanks,
Jesse
(06-21-2021, 06:18 PM)Jesse Johannesen Wrote: Well I can see what you mean, but I can't think of a use case where you would need to use all 12 ports let alone 16. At 12 that gives you 192 individual channels of MIDI, are you maxing that out already? Can you help me understand why you might want to do what you are suggesting?
Thanks,
Jesse

I'm not the OP, but I know for me, I like to set up routing once (if possible) and then "just use it".  So if the computer was my main device, I could see setting up routes ahead of time (whether I end up using 1,2 or all 12) and knowing that computer 12 is always connected to device XXX on port 12.  One less thing to think about and no need to revisit the MRCC panel to change any routing.

I've become a big fan of what I call the 5 minute test.

If your studio/setup is completely powered off and someone walked into the room and said -- record me a demo of that  piece of gear, could you power up and record something within 5 minutes?

If it takes you 15 minutes or more to connect cables, set up routings on the computer and patchbays, etc and gear needs MIDI channel configurations and the master controller needs to be edited, and you have to find and bring up the applications you need, etc, then that takes away from any inspiration you have in the moment and can kill creativity.  If you can quickly power up and capture an idea, that's a much better situation and if you do your work ahead of time and get the basics set up correctly, it's way easier to do.
Thanks oldgearguy, seems that we are thinking identically.
The easiest mapping for the mrcc is to select the pc usb virtual port 1 and connect to the midi din 1. Same for up to 12 (you can just visualize how it is SO easy to manage in this way). Unhappilly, after 12, you cannot continue to connect the pc usb virtual port 13. 14, 15, 16 to the 4 usb ports ...
Ok, I've got a better idea of what you're after here. I will put a feature request in for this, though we will have to wait and see if this is something Steve can implement easily. Thanks for clarifying that for me.
In the mean time I might suggest using a system where the you split the channels out for the last several ports so that devices on port C are on channels 1-8 and Port D are on 9-16 or just channel 1 and channel 2 for example if you just have one device connected to each port.
Thanks again for the suggestion, it seems like a great idea.
Jesse