Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MIDI TRS Type A/B Question
Hi all,

My MRCC is currently on order. I'm buying cables while I wait for delivery, but I'm a bit confused by MIDI TRS.

I have a 1010 Bluebox mixer which has 3.5mm MIDI TRS in and out ports, and I plan to connect them to the MRCC.

Since MRCC has separate ports for both MIDI TRS types (A and B), can I just buy a normal 3.5mm male to 3.5mm male stereo audio cable to connect them?

Presumably, if I plug it into the TRS B in and out ports on the MRCC, it should just work given that the Bluebox supports type B for in/out, right? No special cable required (eg. crossover or whatever)?

Many thanks,
Ben
(06-21-2021, 04:28 AM)benstat Wrote: Hi all,

My MRCC is currently on order. I'm buying cables while I wait for delivery, but I'm a bit confused by MIDI TRS.

I have a 1010 Bluebox mixer which has 3.5mm MIDI TRS in and out ports, and I plan to connect them to the MRCC.

Since MRCC has separate ports for both MIDI TRS types (A and B), can I just buy a normal 3.5mm male to 3.5mm male stereo audio cable to connect them?

Presumably, if I plug it into the TRS B in and out ports on the MRCC, it should just work given that the Bluebox supports type B for in/out, right? No special cable required (eg. crossover or whatever)?

Many thanks,
Ben

Yes - that's exactly what I've been doing.  The cable can be generic if you match the port types.
I only need special cables if i wanted to cross over A to B or from DIN MIDI to TRS.
Great, that's good to know. Will order a couple of cables then. Thanks!
Bumping this.

I've seen some cables that go 1/8" to 5-pin DIN. Can I use these on standard MIDI I/O (on outputs 11 & 12, say) without regard to type A or B?
I don't own any gear with 1/8" MIDI connectors and this new to me.
(07-26-2021, 10:39 AM)Kent Wrote: Bumping this.

I've seen some cables that go 1/8" to 5-pin DIN. Can I use these on standard MIDI I/O (on outputs 11 & 12, say) without regard to type A or B?
I don't own any gear with 1/8" MIDI connectors and this new to me.

There are many adapter cables for 1/8" to 5-pin, you just need to match the two types, A and B, to whichever type the equipment uses.  Some examples:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/...aptor-pair
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/...-5-pin-din
Be aware, though, some manufacturers have switched what type is used depending on the model. 
TRS MIDI Compatibility - 1010music LLC