Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using NDLR over USB with Logic: Mixed hardware/software set up
Hi

Im trying to use NDLR in a mixed hardware and VST environment over USB MIDI using Logic Pro X

I want to connect NDLR to Logic via USB and control hardware and software using Logic as the hub routing MIDI data to each instrument. I also have a MIDI controller keyboard controlling a Novation Peak over USB via Logic and also a Matriarch, a Drumbrute impact and a Pro 3 SE synth connected (all using Logic as a hub with audio routes in via a focusrite 18i20).  

The Matriarch  is MIDI ch 1, the Peak 2, Pro 3 SE, 3, the Drumbrute is ch 4. The VST’s are on another channel. My usual set up without NDLR is connected this way so I can perform with multiple instruments that are played or sequenced (usually on the device itself rather than Logic) and synced, mixed and recorded in Logic. I don’t yet use Logic to record midi tracks to control the devices but, of course, could by creating MIDI tracks and printing the audio. 

In this case, I just want to play all the instruments using NDLT through Logic over USB instead of manually playing and sequencing in the devices themselves. 

Can this be done without using MIDI DIN connections? If not, is it a problem if I also connect the devices with DIN cables (with them still connected to the DAW with USB)? Do the MIDI channels on NDLR need to match the virtual channels set up in Logic?

I did ask Jesse and got a great response but wondered if any form users had experience with this kind of set up. I tried to cut and paste it here, unsuccessfully. It certainly sounds theoretically possible. 

Thanks

Andy

I have three hardware synths. One is controlled via logic and is a module (Novation Peak). The other two are a Matriarch and a Pro 3 SE respectively. 

Each is on a separate MIDI channel, connected to the DAW (Logic) with USB. 

Can I connect NDLR to logic via USB and control both VST and hardware instruments through logic, or do I have to physically connect each synth to NDLR with 5 pin MIDI cables?

I’m hoping to use virtual MIDI channels with logic as the hub. Is this possible?

Matriarch is ch 1
Peak is ch 2
Pro 3 is ch 3
Each VST is on a different channel…..
MIDI controller keyboard controls peak and, when activated, each VST.

I havI have three hardware synths. One is controlled via logic and is a module (Novation Peak). The two are a Matriarch and a Pro 3 SE respectively. 

Can I connect NDLR to logic via USB and control both VST and hardware instruments through logic, or do I have to physically connect each synth to NDLR with 5 pin MIDI cables?

I’m hoping to use virtual MIDI channels with logic as the hub. Is this possible?

Matriarch is ch 1

Peak is ch 2

Pro 3 is ch 3

MIDI controller keyboard controls peak and, when activated, each VST.e three hardware synths. One is controlled via logic and is a module (Novation Peak). The other two are a Matriarch and a Pro 3 SE respectively. 

Matriarch is ch 1
Peak is ch 2
Pro 3 is ch 3
MIDI controller keyboard controls peak and, when activated, each VST.
Hey Andy,
I don't think there is any inherent danger in routing both through Logic and through Din ports, especially if you are able to do something clever like set the channel that Logic is listening on for those tracks to a different channel than it sends to, like this:

NDLR--->USB ch1-->Logic--USB ch5-->Synth 1
NDLR--->USB ch2-->Logic--USB ch6-->Synth 2
NDLR--->USB ch3-->Logic--USB ch7-->Synth 3
NDLR--->USB ch4-->Logic--USB ch8-->Synth 4
NDLR-->DIN A ch5&6-->DIN in Synth 1-->MIDI thru-->Synth2
NDLR-->DIN B ch7&8--DIN in Synth 3-->MIDI thru-->Synth4

or something similar and then you can save a couple presets with different channel settings for whichever way you want to play that you can load at the start of a jam session. I don't know for sure how Logic assigns incoming MIDI channels, but most modern DAWs should have a way to set the channel it's monitoring to any channel you like.
Jesse

A quick google search sent me here which may be relevant:

https://www.logicprohelp.com/forum/viewt...and%20play.

https://logic-users-group.com/threads/ho...nnel.6755/