Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NDLR and Nord Lead users?
I am using the NDLR with a Nord Lead 4 and it's working very well. The 4 parts of the NDLR are controlling the 4 multi-timbral parts of the Nord, each on their own MIDI channel (1,2,3,4).

Everything works as expected until I try to use a NDLR LFO to control a MIDI CC on a Nord MIDI channel. Sometimes it works and then sometimes it doesn't. The Nord MIDI CC's are set to "receive" and the MIDI channel of the NDLR LFO and Nord are the same. The LFO modulation amount is 100%. I have tried multiple MIDI CC destinations (1-127).

Are there any Nord owners here that might have had success with this?

The only thing I can think of as to why it wouldn't work is that there is so much simultaneous MIDI information going into the Nord at one time that there is no room for any more MIDI data from an LFO. I'm not even sure if that makes sense (I'm not an expert on MIDI technicalities!).

Any advice would be appreciated.
I don't own a Nord, and you might be onto something with too much data being received on one port on the Nord. You can test that just by turning off some NDLR parts so only one motif or just a PAD is playing while the LFO is running.

I took a quick look at the Nord manual and there is something called "Slots" which must be used to send MIDI parameters to individual voices. Otherwise, apparently it changes all voices? Or maybe whatever the selected voice is? Not sure about that.

Try to target something really easy to hear with a LFO CC, which you can test by turning the knob up and down first to hear what it sounds like. Something like OSC pitch or maybe Filter Frequency should be easily discernible.
Be sure to set the NDLR modulation amount to 0% while changing other Mod LFO parameters. Especially when changing the target CC, otherwise the LFO will be changing every CC you scroll thru creating many unintended parameter changes on the instrument.
Depending on the target CC, you have to figure out how many "positions" are supported by that parameter and adjust the Mod amount accordingly. For instance, if the target only supports 0 thru 50, sendinging CCs above 50 probably won't do anything. Its hard to tell looking at the Nord MIDI implementation what the ranges are so you might have to dial it in by ear.
I know there is a bug when using Patterns as a mod source and sending to MIDI CC where it doesn't send the correct data, I'll test this and make sure that this isn't a related issue.
Jesse

I was able to confirm that sending LFOs to CCs is working on my end. I used MIDIox to monitor MIDI output for CC changes and they appear to be in order.
Thanks for the replies. I have tried a lot of different ways to figure it out and the only conclusion I can come to is that the Nord and NDLR have some kind of cross-talk or miscommunication when it comes only to MIDI CC's. It also might be a programming error on my part. The rest of the MIDI works great.

Interestingly, when I have a NDLR LFO control Velocity on the Nord, then have the Nord Velocity control a Nord parameter (like envelope decay, for example) it works normally. But if I have a NDLR LFO control envelope decay directly, it has strange behavior. This makes me think that the issue might be with the Nord....?