Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scale, chromatic patterns and bugs
I start with the best of intentions to be systematic and deterministic then get diverted down interesting byways with the NDLR so it has taken me a while to posting here.

Under version 1.020

The scale and chromatic patterns don't behave as I expect as they are transposed as the chord degree changes - I'd expect them to be static, so I can set up a regular sequence (say a bass line) that remains pretty much constant with varying chords playing above. As I see it the chord patterns take care of arpeggios based around the chords, sometimes I want something solely based on the scale rather than the chord. Am I missing something?

The height of the value bars in the pattern editor on the step being edited tends to be too high, so doesn't accurately reflect the value.

I'm finding some unreliable triggering and timing problems - motif 1 set to a simple metronome, pad modulated by a pattern, other modulations set up but turned down to zero depth, 'metronome' goes wonky. Can resolve it by switching off LFO's by setting them to select source, but not a solution if you want to actually route the LFOs to a modulation destination. Looking forward to the chord sequencer and hope that it will allow for rhythmic programming.

I'd also like to give a shout out to the earlier request for greater clock divisions - I'd like to see up to 32 or even 64 (I'm partial to a bit of drill & bass). Lower values would be welcome too; 0.5 and 0.25.

Finally this may be a bug or feature. If a pattern is used as an LFO and also in a motif, any modulations in the motif such as variant also effect the pattern used as an LFO.

Very much enjoying the NDLR!
Thanks for sharing this TIm, better late than never. We'll have to look into these issues, but we have a pretty big update coming which tightens up a lot of timing areas and they may fix some issues. In the meantime, I'll try to reproduce and document what you have seen.
Can I check - are the scale and chromatic patterns supposed to transpose with the chords? It would be great to have an option for patterns that are independent of the chord.
(03-27-2019, 11:25 AM)Tim Wilson Wrote: Can I check - are the scale and chromatic patterns supposed to transpose with the chords? It would be great to have an option for patterns that are independent of the chord.

Hi Tim,
Thanks so much for taking the time to post about the bug sightings.  Sorry for the delay in response, but we do read all these near very important to us. I’ll be looking into this issue this week.

The scale and chromatic patterns are supposed to be transposed with chords. However this was just a personal choice and I think I tend to agree with you that they should stay static.  The scale and  chromatic patterns were a bit of an afterthought. We wanted to enable folks to have more access to the entire chromatic note range… and at the same time we want to remove the intricacies of music theory for the average user. Darryl and I discusse this topic often about how The NDLR should act consistently and yet still have features that will delight and surprise.  

Thanks
Steve
Thanks so much for the response, I appreciate you considering the idea that scale and chromatic patterns are not transposed with the chords. I think this would be very useful, for instance you could set up a pretty static bassline with one motif using a scale pattern, then have a top-line / arpeggiator following the chord progression on another motif.
Hi Tim,
We'll have beta 1.1.029 out today or tomorrow with this change plus a couple other things...  Now the Motif Pattern will stay relative to the Key Root if it is a "Scale" or "Chromatic" type.  The Pattern type "Chord" will move relative to the Chord Degree.
Steve
(04-02-2019, 10:45 AM)Steve Wrote: Hi Tim,
We'll have beta 1.1.029 out today or tomorrow with this change plus a couple other things...  Now the Motif Pattern will stay relative to the Key Root if it is a "Scale" or "Chromatic" type.  The Pattern type "Chord" will move relative to the Chord Degree.
Steve

Its posted now.
(04-02-2019, 11:45 AM)Darryl Wrote:
(04-02-2019, 10:45 AM)Steve Wrote: Hi Tim,
Steve

Its posted now.

Awesome, can't wait to try it Big Grin