Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Explain rotation algorithm (pls?)
Hi,

First post on the forum, but been using NDLR for 5 months now. Very happy owner.

One thing I'm struggling with, is the beta function under (shift+menu) encoder 2. What is this rotation algorithm supposed to do? And is there a clear, n00b-proof explanation somewhere? The info that's under encoder 2 itself is a bit short, i think I need a step-by-step.

Thanks and keep on noodling Cool ,
John
the nice thing about the rotation sequencer is you control the velocity and rests and ties there.

the other really cool progressive aspect of this part of the sequencer is that when you increase and decrease the steps...it remembers where the rests and the ties are.

If you look closely on either side of the UI screen, you with be able to suss out important functions to keep you flowing.

it took me a minute to appreciate the execution but I love it because of how it works in tandem with the the pads and the drones...everything stays in the chord/key/mode/scale/degree it is assigned to.

the other window where we see levels for each beat...more like a step sequencer ....is where we program the pitch for each step.

keep leaning into it...its alot of fun.
(03-19-2021, 04:16 AM)Ghostz_of_Moar Wrote: the nice thing about the rotation sequencer is you control the velocity and rests and ties there. <snip>
I am lost just like Hoogerj.  Where is the rotation sequencer?  Is there any more information regarding the discussion of this added feature?  Anything that would point me in the right direction would be helpful. 

Thanks
(03-19-2021, 05:59 AM)uncleage Wrote:
(03-19-2021, 04:16 AM)Ghostz_of_Moar Wrote: the nice thing about the rotation sequencer is you control the velocity and rests and ties there. <snip>
I am lost just like Hoogerj.  Where is the rotation sequencer?  Is there any more information regarding the discussion of this added feature?  Anything that would point me in the right direction would be helpful. 

Thanks
Shift+menu encoder 6 to access the window.

page 49 in the manual helps but its important to comprehend what it is.

its a radial layout of the sequence.

its primary function is to adjust velocity, rest, and TIE...with the first (velocity being 0-127) and rest and TIE being on/off.

the real nice aspect of this window is that it gives the user access to pattern, playback direction, clock division, and length.

what is quixotic in a really good organic way is that the Pattern and the Rhythm do not necessarily have to work together...so these lines can be of different lengths...and the midi cc assignment is 38 for pattern and 42 for the rhythm...so what is so "clutch" about this?

I can dial in, improvise, canoodle, you name it...a melody and I can then recall presets phrases/motifs of rhythmic patterns which keeps the timbre but changes the dynamics...or vice versa keep the dynamics and change the timbre.

in this window the most important knobs(4 and 6) for establishing control over the rhythmic dynamics are the lower two knobs.

the left hand one with cycle around and select which beat while the right one sets the value from 0-127+rest+TIE.

let me know if that helps.

while it would be even moar CLUTCH would be to separate the clock division attribute of the rhythm editor from the clock division attribute of the pattern editor...that may not be available at the current incarnation of this sequencer due to a variety of factors.

also when we make edits to interiors of these menus its meant to be strictly mano y mano(hand to hand)...which makes sense because somethings you just cannot automate with midi cc.

that being said...as I glance over the midi spec(again)

the only thing stopping a user from doing some intense improv lines is the stability aspects of the sequencer. why? because play direction and clock division, motif accent, rhythm etc. can be coordinated all of or by part via midi cc, while the user noodles the rest.

is it a perfect solution?

No. there are significant limitations...like probability is extremely limited...and a hard line of clock divisions was laid out...but there are work arounds for that.

So its not a perfect solution.

It's a progressive one that gives you the ability to adlib melodic ideas that fit into a harmonic framework.

hopefully that helps.
Photo 
Ok, before I go any further  I gotta say thanks for the explanation.  I appreciate it.

I have a had a go at the Rhythm and Pattern Editor screens and I do like what they allow me to do.  What I am foggy on is how the "ENC 2 Beta Rotation Algorithm"  you access via ["shift+menu" + encoder 2] shown in the attached picture (albeit not the best pic) relates to the pattern/rhythm playing.

My questions are:
1. Pressing shift in addition to any of the Encoders on the left (1-4) turns the Rotation Algorithm on and off.  Should I only use Encoder #2 
2. " Use 'Trans MIDI Ch' " means what?
3. How do I interpret the " Params set in Patt40 " section.

I did notice that changing the values in Pattern40 did have an affect on the yellow type at the bottom of the screen.  The rest I don't get because I do not hear a difference regardless of whether the Algorithm is On or Off.

Signed...Still Lost

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I have seen that screen and I’m not going to explain that which I am unsure of, lol. I will check it out.

For now...for your own sanity....why don’t you turn that undocumented and potentially unstable feature off...until there is more clarity/explanations in terms of what it does and how to apply it.

Then after that page 46 and 49 In the manual will give you a good reference to the motif 1,2 tracks.
Thanks for the explanation, but I think we are having two different conversations at the same time here. Smile

For me: I know how all the features on the NDLR work, like the sequencer, pattern editor, the chord sequencer etc. I just really also would like to know what the rotation algorithm is and how I am supposed to use it. I still have the same questions @uncleage has.

Maybe one of the developers or someone else from Conductive Labs willing to chime in?
(03-20-2021, 07:53 AM)Hoogerj Wrote: Thanks for the explanation, but I think we are having to different conversations at the same time here. Smile

For me: I know how all the features on the NDLR work, like the sequencer, pattern editor, the chord sequencer etc. I just really also would like to know what the rotation algorithm is and how I am supposed to use it. I still have the same questions @uncleage has.

Maybe one of the developers or someone else from Conductive Labs willing to chime in?

You are absolutely right I misread your inquiry and have no idea what that menu does, why it exists and how it could be helpful with everything else that could be addressed with the NDLR , my bad, lol
(03-20-2021, 08:22 AM)Ghostz_of_Moar Wrote:
(03-20-2021, 07:53 AM)Hoogerj Wrote: Thanks for the explanation, but I think we are having to different conversations at the same time here. Smile

You are absolutely right I misread your inquiry and have no idea what that menu does, why it exists and how it could be helpful with everything else that could be addressed with the NDLR , my bad, lol

No worries, thanks for the effort!
I'm unsure how this part of the NDLR works. Did we ever get a video or a more thorough tutorial on this ?