Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
HID Keyboard ==> Key Mapping
I get that a keyboard can be used to type in label names and that’s awesome.

I’d like to use my keyboard as a controller inputting midi notes or toggled cc/program change messages.

Can you please consider developing a HID keyboard output translation map.

Thx!
(03-15-2021, 12:30 PM)Owgill Wrote: I get that a keyboard can be used to type in label names and that’s awesome.

I’d like to use my keyboard as a controller inputting midi notes or toggled cc/program change messages.

Can you please consider developing a HID keyboard output translation map.

Thx!

I'll ask.
Jesse
Thanks Jesse
Steve says this would be possible, but not something he is likely to implement unless you could give him a really compelling reason to do so. Can you give me more info about what you see as the main benefit of doing so?
Jesse
Hey Jesse, glad to know it’s possible. Having 104 buttons jammed in a small form factor, to be able to either play notes, send program changes or cc’s, would be cool to do.
Wow, I see dozens of uses!!
- mode for editing device settings and MIDI parameters (e.g. TAB key for switching modes).
- In keyboard mode for device configuration - cursors are used to move between menus, move between settings, etc.
- In midi mode, it might be possible to assign specific events to keys.
- You can make the "simple" mode to begin with - for rigidly set CH/CC signals.
- However, you could make a much more interesting mode "dynamic" eg keys F1-10 would switch to the selected channel midi or slot (with SHIFT also available 10-16) and the remaining keys would send to these channels their own CC. For example, M(mute), S(solo), P(poly), A(arp).+ - (volume), PGUP/PGDWN (octaves).
- You could create several additional "effects" e.g. E(midi echo), L(midi loop), H(half - gate for every second note) etc.
- going further you could use global or selective transpose settings or even a notation filter (minor, major, chromatic).

All this would make even more sense if you were to use a small wireless keyboard with a dedicated USB adapter. Zero cables for such an extensive, small Router controller!

There are so many possibilities that the bottleneck would be to program it all. That's why even simple hard-coded features would be a huge, creative solution.

And in some wireless keyboards there is also a pad... until you are asked to do x-y pads! I'll have more ideas as the device will already fly to me, but really the potential is huge!