Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advanced Variant builds
Some people want more features for direct control. 

and that is fair and valid.

I come from a different perspective which incorporates additional sequencers which can coordinate the NDLR achieve higher levels of synergy.

tweaking and twiddling has its place and I enjoy it...but I also want coordinated landscapes of harmonic drama...Horizons where I can place harmonic formations and control and contort them over vast spans of time like a conductor.

I want a cache and failsafes that would prevent the NDLR from ever crashing when receiving a copious amount of data from an external source, like an Octatrack.

I understand that space is limited.

so make variant builds similar to the eurorack module called "ornament & crime"

So for user's who have external sequencers available nix the chord sequencer code/menus, etc. and reinforce stability for reading and routing midi cc data.

extra space could be used for :

more drone modes and increase the potential time step increments on the pad channels.

different LFO shapes

but most importantly make a version where the NDLR looks forward to external modulation from other sequencers like the Octatrack.
A great feature in the advanced build would be to allow the user to clamp down on the max pad voices and allow for the motifs to trigger a 3rd or a fifth relative to the note....like a switch.

Along with that switch that allows for the third or the fifth,

Give the user the choice for: a) stack (added note takes place at the same time as motif note), b) embellish (added note to motif comes before struck note) , c) passing/ghost added note takes place behind motif note

And allow user to set velocity for the additional note.
Next feature request for stability. Give the user the option to turn off note on/off for chord degree/type

So we can use an external sequencer and not have to worry about note on/off interfering with cc 26 and 27...
Advanced variant build concept #3

what if the machine assignment was arbitrary?

so instead of 1 pad, 1 drone, two motifs

we had a build that let us configure a single NDLR sequencer 2 have four motifs?

or 4 drones?

or 2 pads, 2 drones?

or 2 drones and 2 motifs?

this could be great for users who own more than one NDLR sequencer.
Where I really do like the ambitious concepts you approach here, I think the situation is that for the most part the NDLR is what it is, and If we approached some of these concepts it would likely be with more powerful hardware. There have been many lessons learned along the way with the NDLR's development and many hardware limitations reached. We're happy with it, but I don't see any major changes coming down the road for it.
Jesse
(03-15-2021, 08:04 PM)Jesse Johannesen Wrote: Where I really do like the ambitious concepts you approach here, I think the situation is that for the most part the NDLR is what it is, and If we approached some of these concepts it would likely be with more powerful hardware. There have been many lessons learned along the way with the NDLR's development and many hardware limitations reached. We're happy with it, but I don't see any major changes coming down the road for it.
Jesse

Sobs inconsolably in NOoDLing®
I hear you loud and clear Jesse.  But to throw another log on the fire...  It would be nice if NDLR could listen on a midi channel for incoming chords and the Drone-Motif 1/2 could take their cues from there.  It would be nice to take the output of Scaler 2, send it to NDLR, and have NDLR follow it's lead, doing everything that NDLR already does but using the inbound midi chords instead of the ones already installed.

Just sayin... Big Grin
(03-17-2021, 08:13 AM)uncleage Wrote: I hear you loud and clear Jesse.  But to throw another log on the fire...  It would be nice if NDLR could listen on a midi channel for incoming chords and the Drone-Motif 1/2 could take their cues from there.  It would be nice to take the output of Scaler 2, send it to NDLR, and have NDLR follow it's lead, doing everything that NDLR already does but using the inbound midi chords instead of the ones already installed.

Just sayin... Big Grin

the drone rides either the key root or the chord root...and motifs always ride within the chord to stay in key. If you send the pad, the drone and the motif to the same midi channel and record the resulting notes into a standard sequencer you should be able to observe this behavior...