Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MIDI thru on DIN ports question
Hi all, a new NDLR from the U.K. here. 
I’ve been using the NDLR to play a Novation Nova, it’s a lot of fun! I have a problem though. 
I’m using a Fishman Tripleplay in Mono mode MIDI channel 1 from an iConnect iMIDI hub. The hub passes MIDI note on/off messages from the USB port to the MIDI out. I can play the Nova directly if I use the MIDI in on the synth. However when I connect the iConnect MIDI out to the MIDI in A on the NDLR and connect the Nova to the MIDI A out of the NDLR the notes aren’t being passed through. Reading the manual it says that MIDI note on/off data should pass through from MIDI in A to MIDI out A if not on a NDLR ‘reserved’ channel. My Fishman TP is sending MIDI channel 1 and the NDLR has Drone, Pad and both Motifs on Channels 2-5 with polychaining enabled to drive more channels. My NDLR is set to use Control channel 15 and Transpose channel 16. 
Please help! I should be able to pass notes through on Channel 1 but it’s not happening, please advise! 
Cheers,
I was just playing with this last night on mine. I routed my Keystep to NDLR MIDI IN A so I can change degrees/chords from the Keystep. I am able to play all my synths that are routed from MIDI OUT A on the NDLR through the Keystep this way by changing MIDI channels on the Keystep.

MIDI notes going into MIDI IN A should be passed through to MIDI OUT A unless they're on the Control channel (15 in your case). Notes on the Transpose channel are passed through but are transposed. Maybe the issue is with your MIDI routing setup with your iConnect hub (is this actually an iConnectivity MIDI hub/router? I use a MioXL) If you connect your Tripleplay or a keyboard controller direct to MIDI IN A and your Nova to MIDI OUT A and set both to the same channel does it work?

The channels/ports you have your Drone, Pad, and Motifs set to should be irrelevant in this case.

What firmware version is your NDLR on?
(03-05-2021, 07:47 AM)kpatzsc Wrote: I was just playing with this last night on mine.  I routed my Keystep to NDLR MIDI IN A so I can change degrees/chords from the Keystep.  I am able to play all my synths that are routed from MIDI OUT A on the NDLR through the Keystep this way by changing MIDI channels on the Keystep.

MIDI notes going into MIDI IN A should be passed through to MIDI OUT A unless they're on the Control channel (15 in your case).  Notes on the Transpose channel are passed through but are transposed. Maybe the issue is with your MIDI routing setup with your iConnect hub (is this actually an iConnectivity MIDI hub/router? I use a MioXL)  If you connect your Tripleplay or a keyboard controller direct to MIDI IN A and your Nova to MIDI OUT A and set both to the same channel does it work?

The channels/ports you have your Drone, Pad, and Motifs set to should be irrelevant in this case.

This is exactly what I'd recommend doing as well. Simplify the issue to see if we can find the problem.

(03-05-2021, 08:00 AM)Jesse Johannesen Wrote:
(03-05-2021, 07:47 AM)kpatzsc Wrote: I was just playing with this last night on mine.  I routed my Keystep to NDLR MIDI IN A so I can change degrees/chords from the Keystep.  I am able to play all my synths that are routed from MIDI OUT A on the NDLR through the Keystep this way by changing MIDI channels on the Keystep.

MIDI notes going into MIDI IN A should be passed through to MIDI OUT A unless they're on the Control channel (15 in your case).  Notes on the Transpose channel are passed through but are transposed. Maybe the issue is with your MIDI routing setup with your iConnect hub (is this actually an iConnectivity MIDI hub/router? I use a MioXL)  If you connect your Tripleplay or a keyboard controller direct to MIDI IN A and your Nova to MIDI OUT A and set both to the same channel does it work?

This is exactly what I'd recommend doing as well. Simplify the issue to see if we can find the problem.
After a quick google search it looks like plugging directly in isn't an option as it works with bluetooth and an Ipad app, is that accurate?
Thanks for the help people!
I installed beta firmware 1.1.073. The Fishman Tripleplay is working fine, troubleshooted that first. It’s plugged into the USB port of the iConnect iMidi and notes pass through to the MIDI out of the iMidi hub. From there I can play the Novation synth Midi In on Midi channel 1 absolutely fine.
The NDLR isn’t using Midi Channel 1 so notes should pass thru from Midi A in to Midi A out. I can play the Novation Nova from the NDLR just fine. I’ll try playing thru the NDLR with a midi keyboard on DIN A ports and B ports later this evening and post results. Thanks again and will be back with more info soon... Big Grin

Ok, so I tried NDLR Midi In A to Midi Out A with a Korg keyboard in Midi Channel 1 with no notes passing thru. The good news is I then used Midi In B and the notes pass thru as they should on Midi Out B! Huzzah, a good result. I plugged in the Fishman Tripleplay into the iConnect iMidi, Midi Out from hub to Midi In B on the NDLR and notes pass thru to Midi B Out and Midi In on the Nova.
So I’ve got it working on Midi In B and Midi Out B on NDLR which is great, thanks for your help.
May have found a bug with Midi Thru on NDLR port A though, which might be tricky for your development team gurus. Used exactly same Midi cables btw so it’s not those. I’m a happy noodler again, thankyou for your troubleshooting tips Big Grin
Hi Jesse... to answer your question, the Fishman Tripleplay Wireless uses a USB receiver which is class compliant, so can be used with a powered USB host port or with an iPad camera connection kit. 
Did you have a chance to investigate MIDI thru on MIDI in A and MIDI out A yet? I hope my NDLR isn’t borked!
My uneducated guess is it's your MIDI IN A that's the issue. Mine works fine, passing notes through to MIDI OUT A when using channels other than the Ctrl channel, and it changes chord degrees/types on the NDLR when using the Ctrl channel.

If you set your controller (Korg keyboard) to the Ctrl channel on your NDLR can you change chord degrees etc. from your controller when connected to port A?
(03-08-2021, 02:01 PM)kpatzsc Wrote: My uneducated guess is it's your MIDI IN A that's the issue.  Mine works fine, passing notes through to MIDI OUT A when using channels other than the Ctrl channel, and it changes chord degrees/types on the NDLR when using the Ctrl channel.

If you set your controller (Korg keyboard) to the Ctrl channel on your NDLR can you change chord degrees etc. from your controller when connected to port A?

Thanks Kpatzsc, I’ll try that when I get home from work later...
(03-08-2021, 02:01 PM)kpatzsc Wrote: My uneducated guess is it's your MIDI IN A that's the issue.  Mine works fine, passing notes through to MIDI OUT A when using channels other than the Ctrl channel, and it changes chord degrees/types on the NDLR when using the Ctrl channel.

Ok so tried the MIDI in B on the NDLR with my keyboard set to Midi 1 and NDLR set to controller Channel 1. That works fine, can change Keys and Chords etc. However it does not work on NDLR MIDI in A. 
Thanks for your help kpatzsc. I’m just hoping it is firmware rather than hardware issue!
I have the exact same problem - MIDI isn't being received by DIN A IN or passed to DIN A OUT. I've stripped everything back and just sent a signal into A and hooked up a MIDI monitor to out A. Nothing. Works fine using IN/OUT B. I can change the chord using NDLRs control channel via MIDI B but not A which suggests IN A is simply not working. This is with firmware 1.1.077 and 1.1.078. 

Using just B compromises my desired setup, plus I don't really want to ignore the fact that my NDLR or the firmware seems to be broken.
This sounds like a bad solder connection or a faulty optocoupler. Can you please contact me at Support@conductivelabs.com, (if you haven't already,) to arrange for a replacement?
Jesse