Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New user
Hi all. Just joined the fold and picked up a 2nd production run NDLR unused in the box. Should be here next week.
Initial thought is are there any hardware differences between runs, i see version 2, version 3 mentioned. Guess mine will be a version 2.
Can any older version unit accept the current firmware versions? I read i would have to factory reset the unit, is that all what is required?
Is the version available on the main site downloads the current stable release? Stable would be better for me as I'll have no idea what's going on for a bit!!
Cheers
(02-27-2021, 04:03 PM)Gonzinigonz Wrote: Hi all. Just joined the fold and picked up a 2nd production run NDLR unused in the box. Should be here next week.
Initial thought is are there any hardware differences between runs, i see version 2, version 3 mentioned. Guess mine will be a version 2.
Can any older version unit accept the current firmware versions? I read i would have to factory reset the unit, is that all what is required?
Is the version available on the main site downloads the current stable release? Stable would be better for me as I'll have no idea what's going on for a bit!!
Cheers

Hey, welcome!
I do a lot of the support here but there are also a ton of really helpful peeps who love to help out around here. Congratulations on your purchase, all of the NDLR hardware versions can run the same firmware, the changes were buttons and switching to detented encoders mainly. As long as you're getting a new to you unit, you might as well update it to the most recent FW version available, which you can find here . It should be plenty stable. 

You should only need to do the factory reset if you update from a version 0.066 or below. There were some changes to the save states that required a factory reset to prevent old saves from jacking things up and you only need to do that once. once you get your unit you can check what version it is on the splash screen while loading, or on menu page 3/3 in the lower right corner. you may need to turn the lower right encoder. 

The FW update instructions can be found here. let me know if you run into any problems!
Jesse
(02-27-2021, 04:03 PM)Gonzinigonz Wrote: Hi all. Just joined the fold and picked up a 2nd production run NDLR unused in the box. Should be here next week.
Cheers

(02-28-2021, 12:00 AM)Jesse Johannesen Wrote:
Cheers

Hey, welcome!
I do a lot of the support here but there are also a ton of really helpful peeps who love to help out around here. Congratulations on your purchase, all of the NDLR hardware versions can run the same firmware, the changes were buttons and switching to detented encoders mainly. As long as you're getting a new to you unit, you might as well update it to the most recent FW version available, which you can find here . It should be plenty stable. 

You should only need to do the factory reset if you update from a version 0.066 or below. There were some changes to the save states that required a factory reset to prevent old saves from jacking things up and you only need to do that once. once you get your unit you can check what version it is on the splash screen while loading, or on menu page 3/3 in the lower right corner. you may need to turn the lower right encoder. 

The FW update instructions can be found here. let me know if you run into any problems!
Jesse

Hi Jesse
Thanks for the reply.
All sounds good, will check what version its on and make sure its all working then attempt the update if needed.
I'm sure it will all be good!
Thanks
Steve
(02-28-2021, 07:44 AM)Gonzinigonz Wrote:
Cheers

(02-28-2021, 12:00 AM)Jesse Johannesen Wrote:
Cheers

Hey, welcome!

Jesse

Hi Jesse
Thanks for the reply.
All sounds good, will check what version its on and make sure its all working then attempt the update if needed.
I'm sure it will all be good!
Thanks
Steve

Hi Jesse
Unit has turned up today, all looks good.
It was on V1.1.0.60
I got brave and decided to update, didn't go completely like the instructions but seems to of got there in the end.
So i followed the instructions to the letter, run the teensy.exe then load the hex file and hit auto. Then press the FW button.
Nothing seemed to happen other than the screen went black. Then the programmer said programming after quite a long pause then it flash up a failed error in red.
Screen was still black, i thought that was it. Bricked it.....
Not wanting to remove power just in case it made it unrecoverable easily i tried pressing the auto button again in the programmer.
Straight away it started programming but this time appeared successful so i think i got away with it.
So when you program these does the boot loader remain untouched so you can't really brick it?
Does it only get flashed with the new code if its successful?
If i had of unplugged the USB while the screen was black and in update mode after the failed attempt would it of recovered powering up again on the original firmware version?
Should windows find a generic device driver for it? I'm on Win7 at work, it detects it OK, comes up as a NDLR but no device driver loads so appears as an unknown device in the device manager. I'm on Win 10 at home so maybe that will do a better job if it should invoke a class compliant driver.
Thanks!