Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How is channel routing done?
I see from the videos that the MRCC is optimized for routing from physical (or virtual, in the case of USB) input devices to physical output devices, and it looks fantastic!

One of the things I'd like to do with MRCC is to easily send any sequencer track into one or more synths. My sequencer is outputting track data as separate channels over multiple outputs.

Right now, my setup is roughly:
  • DIN MIDI keyboard controller outputting on MIDI channel 1
  • USB MIDI drum controller outputting on MIDI channel 10
  • Sequencer tracks 1-7 outputting MIDI channels 1-7 on a single DIN MIDI output
  • Sequencer track 8 outputting MIDI channel 16 on a single USB MIDI output
  • 7 DIN MIDI synths each expecting input on a different MIDI channel from 1-7 to match the sequencer
  • 1 USB MIDI device using channel 16
I connect the 2 controllers into the sequencer, and the sequencer outputs to a MIDI thru box that then goes to each synth.

What is the workflow for routing multiple channels from one or more inputs to multiple output devices? I expect to be changing the routing quite frequently, since I actually have more synths than sequencer tracks, and also like to "double" tracks by sending them to multiple synths simultaneously, so it's important that this be as easy as possible!
(02-22-2021, 07:47 AM)cowboy Wrote: I see from the videos that the MRCC is optimized for routing from physical (or virtual, in the case of USB) input devices to physical output devices, and it looks fantastic!

One of the things I'd like to do with MRCC is to easily send any sequencer track into one or more synths. My sequencer is outputting track data as separate channels over multiple outputs.

Right now, my setup is roughly:
  • DIN MIDI keyboard controller outputting on MIDI channel 1
  • USB MIDI drum controller outputting on MIDI channel 10
  • Sequencer tracks 1-7 outputting MIDI channels 1-7 on a single DIN MIDI output
  • Sequencer track 8 outputting MIDI channel 16 on a single USB MIDI output
  • 7 DIN MIDI synths each expecting input on a different MIDI channel from 1-7 to match the sequencer
  • 1 USB MIDI device using channel 16
I connect the 2 controllers into the sequencer, and the sequencer outputs to a MIDI thru box that then goes to each synth.

What is the workflow for routing multiple channels from one or more inputs to multiple output devices? I expect to be changing the routing quite frequently, since I actually have more synths than sequencer tracks, and also like to "double" tracks by sending them to multiple synths simultaneously, so it's important that this be as easy as possible!
So at the moment routing on a port level is dead simple, you press the input port button and then press the output port (or ports) that you want it routed to. Once you have the ports where you want them mapping individual channels is done with the Channel Map Mod, which gives you 6 different set ups (Variations) of 4 routings each. then you would place one of those Mods in an empty slot on that Port routing page. Since you are using 8 MIDI channels each port routing would use 2 Channel Map Variations, so at the moment I think you would be left with 3 Routing Variations. I don't know how "in stone" these variation limits are so I will have to do some asking around and see what I can dig up.
Jesse
Jesse, any extra info would be great, because I can't visualize what that workflow would be like. One thing I was thinking would be to give each synth its own physical output, but to set every synth to channel 1. That way, all I'd need to do would be to map a channel from the sequencer input to an output. For example, I might want:
  • Sequencer input channel 1 -> output 1 (channel 1)
  • Sequencer input channel 2 -> output 2 (channel 1)
  • Sequencer input channel 3 -> output 3 (channel 1)
  • Sequencer input channel 4 -> output 4 (channel 1)
  • Sequencer input channel 5 -> output 5 (channel 1)
  • Sequencer input channel 6 -> output 6 (channel 1)
  • Sequencer input channel 7 -> output 7 (channel 1)
And then be able to change which output any of those goes to at any time, eg.
  • Sequencer input channel 1 -> output 1 (channel 1)
  • Sequencer input channel 1 -> output 2 (channel 1)
  • Sequencer input channel 1 -> output 3 (channel 1)
  • Sequencer input channel 4 -> output 4 (channel 1)
  • Sequencer input channel 5 -> output 5 (channel 1)
  • Sequencer input channel 6 -> output 7 (channel 1)
  • Sequencer input channel 7 -> output 6 (channel 1)

(etc)
Is there any more information about this? I'd really like to order, but I just need to know what it'll be like to map multiple channels in a single (or multiple) MIDI input to multiple MIDI outputs. I'd imagine wanting to map channels in this way will be a common use-case, since sequencers that output many tracks over separate channels on a single USB or DIN MIDI output are quite popular.

Thanks!
(03-10-2021, 10:32 PM)cowboy Wrote: Is there any more information about this? I'd really like to order, but I just need to know what it'll be like to map multiple channels in a single (or multiple) MIDI input to multiple MIDI outputs. I'd imagine wanting to map channels in this way will be a common use-case, since sequencers that output many tracks over separate channels on a single USB or DIN MIDI output are quite popular.

Thanks!

Whoops, I missed your reply! 

I presented your use case to Steve and he agreed that this is definitely a use case that we want to support, so instead of redesigning the entire Channel Mapping Mod, he came up with what I think it an elegant alternative. He's creating a series of Mods that have no parameters and simply reroute a specific channel from the Source Port to channel 1 of the Destination Port.  Instead of using parameters there would just be 16 of these Mods, one for each channel. 
This way you just drop in the Mod for the channel routing you want sent to 1.

It would look like this if I wanted my channel 5 sequence sent to the device on port 2:

Sequencer on CH 5 => PORT A1 (USB host 1) => [CH5 to CH1 Mod] => PORT 1 (DIN) => device on channel 1

I hope that sounds like what you're looking for. It's not quite implemented yet, but it is under way and should be done before long. Let me know what you think.
Jesse