Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LFO assigne to Midi Controller?
Hi all,

I am new to NDLR and still discover all the features. Lately I went over the midi controller and loved how I could control the filter of my ATC manually - wonderful.
Now I am wondering if there is a possibility to modulate the midi filter controller with an LFO or even better with the patterns?
If I understand your question correctly, then YES you can! First of all is your ATC the Studio Electronics ATC-1? If so, cool machine. I bet it sounds great.

Controlling the filter via the MIDI CNTLR pages uses the quasi-standard CC#74 for Cutoff and CC#71 for resonance. If you go to thre MOD MATRIX pages (Menu + ENC 1-4), you can assign a destination to CC#s, like 74 or 71, on any MIDI channel you like. And, the modulation source can be an LFO, which you can set as being a pattern. Pretty much exactly what you seek.

Here's an easy example tip to set it up:
1- go to MOD MATRIX 1 (press MENU then ENC 1)
2- set destination to CC#74 (turn ENC 5 until MIDI CC #74 is displayed)
3- set MIDI channel to the one your ATC responds to (turn ENC 6 to 1-MIDIA, for example)
4- set source to whatever you want via ENC 1, for example LFO 1
5- set MOD AMT to 100% (twist ENC 2)

Set LFO 1 to a pattern by:
1- go to LFO CONFIG (press MENU then ENC 5)
2- twist ENC 5 until you see PATT 4 (or whatever pattern you want)

That should get you started. Have fun!
Yes, it is the Studio Electronics ATC-1 with 24db filter cartridge! I still love it and keep it in the mix Wink

Thx for the detailed descritption!! It works like a charm.

The only thing I can`t figure out: Is it possible to set a min/max value for the modulation: Let`s say set minimum CC value to 50 and maximum to 127 thus the filter does not completly close? Thus far when I set MOD AMT it only changes the max value.
(01-23-2021, 01:08 PM)ananda Wrote: Yes, it is the Studio Electronics ATC-1 with 24db filter cartridge! I still love it and keep it in the mix Wink

The only thing I  can`t figure out: Is it possible to set a min/max value for the modulation: Let`s say set  minimum CC value to 50 and maximum to 127 thus the filter does not completly close? Thus far when I set MOD AMT it only changes the max value.

No there isn't currently a way to offset those values, I see where that could be problematic. I'll add a feature request to see if this is possible, but I don't know that we'll be able to do it since we're almost out of memory space. In the mean time you can explore using Motif patterns as LFO shapes and can be a little more creative and hopefully mitigate some of that fully closed filter behavior. 
Jesse
ananda Wrote:Yes, it is the Studio Electronics ATC-1 with 24db filter cartridge! I still love it and keep it in the mix Wink

The only thing I  can`t figure out: Is it possible to set a min/max value for the modulation: Let`s say set  minimum CC value to 50 and maximum to 127 thus the filter does not completly close? Thus far when I set MOD AMT it only changes the max value.

Glad to hear it works like a charm for you. I was going to suggest setting the pattern to 'chromatic' to allow a range of 60 (to increase the max possible spread of numbers), but I decided to test my recommendation first. It doesn't work at all on my NDLR. Typically, I test my suggestions before writing them, but in my previous message I didn't. 

I'll itemize my steps in case JesseJ wants to help out:
01- I've done all of this on Mod Matrix 6, MIDI-A ch 9, CC#32 (all choosen at random for an example)
02- set Mod Src to LFO 1, which is a 5s TRI Uni waveform
03- adjust Mod Amt to 100%
04- display says Mod Range 0 to 127
05- my external MIDI monitor confirms this
06- adjusting Mod Amt to 50%, display says Mod Range 0 to 63, and the MIDI monitor agrees
07- change Mod Src to LFO 2, which is 1s Patt20
  Patt20 is:
    1- chromatic
    2- 8 steps long
    3- step values of: 60, 51, 15, 60, 32, 18, 21, and 21
08- Mod Amt is reported as 100%
09- Mod Range 0 to 63 is displayed
10- my MIDI monitor says only 0s are being issued
11-twisting ENC 4  (Mod Amt) clockwise (as if to go greater than 100%) keeps Mod Amt at 100%, BUT Mod Range then changes to 0 to 5, or 0 to 2, or 0 to 3
12- Mod Range randomly bounces around at numbers less than 6 for the maximum for each click twisting clockwise on Mod Amt 
13- on occasion the MIDI monitor reports I sometimes get a CC#32 value of 1 or 2 corresponding to the 60 and 51 numbers in my pattern
14- twisting Mod Amt counterclockwise goes to 0% with a reported Mod Range of 0 to 0

In my experience, using a Pattern as an LFO for the Modulation Matrix to spit out CC data doesn't work at all.

Very disappointing.
(01-24-2021, 10:23 AM)House de Kris Wrote:
ananda Wrote:Yes, it is the Studio Electronics ATC-1 with 24db filter cartridge! I still love it and keep it in the mix Wink

Glad to hear it works like a charm for you. I was going to suggest setting the pattern to 'chromatic' to allow a range of 60 (to increase the max possible spread of numbers), but I decided to test my recommendation first. It doesn't work at all on my NDLR. Typically, I test my suggestions before writing them, but in my previous message I didn't. 

I'll itemize my steps in case JesseJ wants to help out:
01- I've done all of this on Mod Matrix 6, MIDI-A ch 9, CC#32 (all choosen at random for an example)
02- set Mod Src to LFO 1, which is a 5s TRI Uni waveform
03- adjust Mod Amt to 100%
04- display says Mod Range 0 to 127
05- my external MIDI monitor confirms this
06- adjusting Mod Amt to 50%, display says Mod Range 0 to 63, and the MIDI monitor agrees
07- change Mod Src to LFO 2, which is 1s Patt20
  Patt20 is:
    1- chromatic
    2- 8 steps long
    3- step values of: 60, 51, 15, 60, 32, 18, 21, and 21
08- Mod Amt is reported as 100%
09- Mod Range 0 to 63 is displayed
10- my MIDI monitor says only 0s are being issued
11-twisting ENC 4  (Mod Amt) clockwise (as if to go greater than 100%) keeps Mod Amt at 100%, BUT Mod Range then changes to 0 to 5, or 0 to 2, or 0 to 3
12- Mod Range randomly bounces around at numbers less than 6 for the maximum for each click twisting clockwise on Mod Amt 
13- on occasion the MIDI monitor reports I sometimes get a CC#32 value of 1 or 2 corresponding to the 60 and 51 numbers in my pattern
14- twisting Mod Amt counterclockwise goes to 0% with a reported Mod Range of 0 to 0

In my experience, using a Pattern as an LFO for the Modulation Matrix to spit out CC data doesn't work at all.

Very disappointing.
Ah bummer, I will try and repro this tomorrow. I think what you described should work, so if not we've got a bug to fix. Thanks again Kris.
Jesse
Jesse and I just confirmed that the Mod Mat setting: Source = Pattern, Dest = CC is broken. Sorry 'bout that!
We will have a look at that next time we do a FW update.
Steve
Sorry, my initial feedback was inaccurate. I only looked at the LFO control with waveforms on the CC# for the filter and that worked wonderfully.

The LFO control with a pattern I looked at first today. And yes as confirmed above, the output with a pattern as LFO source constantly outputs the value 0.

Secondly, today I noticed with an external midi viewer that the output of CC commands are not stopped when stopping all parts.

The CC values are sent constant even if all parts are switched off. Only when I go into Mod Matrix and set the source of the LFO to off, the output of CC values is also stopped. It would be nice if that would by synced to play/stop.
(01-31-2021, 09:33 AM)ananda Wrote: Sorry, my initial feedback was inaccurate. I only looked at the LFO control with waveforms on the CC# for the filter and that worked wonderfully.

The LFO control with a pattern I looked at first today. And yes as confirmed above, the output with a pattern as LFO source constantly outputs the value 0.

Secondly, today I noticed with an external midi viewer that the output of CC commands are not stopped when stopping all parts.

The CC values are sent constant even if all parts are switched off. Only when I go into Mod Matrix and set the source of the LFO to off, the output of CC values is also stopped. It would be nice if that would by synced to play/stop.

I don't know if this will work but try holding shift and pressing play all to stop all modulation. I know some of the mod sources are constant, unsynced values that don't start and stop with the device to create more randomness, it may be that you are using one of those, or it may be that that's how Steve programmed it and we need to discuss whether or not that needs changing at some point. Either way the Shift+Play Pause should work. If it doesn't let me know. Also to get it to start again You'll need to press the same button combo. (it works with the Shift+individual parts' play buttons, too, and Pauses modulation to those sources). 
Jesse