Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
User defined chord structures
Hi there.

I have a deep, deep yearning to be able to enter a chord structure, say A B C E, an AmAdd2 with a tasty semitone clash in it then as I press the other chord buttons, the chord will change but maintain my chord structure in a modally appropriate manner, so if I pressed the VI key in the key of Dm I would get the notes F G A C and so on. I would like to be able to send these chords from the PAD section to an arpeggiator but at the moment the basic major, minor etc chords sound a bit unsatisfying. Maybe the scale pattern editor could be made to transform in this manner according to the scale degree?
(01-17-2021, 07:59 AM)Stratblue Wrote: Hi there.

I have a deep, deep yearning to be able to enter a chord structure, say A B C E, an AmAdd2 with a tasty semitone clash in it then as I press the other chord buttons, the chord will change but maintain my chord structure in a modally appropriate manner, so if I pressed the VI key in the key of Dm I would get the notes F G A C and so on. I would like to be able to send these chords from the PAD section to an arpeggiator but at the moment the basic major, minor etc chords sound a bit unsatisfying. Maybe the scale pattern editor could be made to transform in this manner according to the scale degree?

So my initial response was "probably not", but after thinking about it for a minute, I think you could:
1. open the pattern editor
2. set it to scale
3. make a pattern with the note values above based on the degrees of the scale

this would arpeggiate your chord, but wouldn't transpose it with the chord changes, but if you change the key it will transpose. Holding shift while selecting a key (or making any other changes) will allow you to make non-destructive changes and releasing shift will cause those changes to go into effect, so you could try messing with that and see if it does what you want. You could also use the CHORD SEQ to set any key changes you like in time with the clock.

I'd be interested to hear whether or not this works for you.
Jesse
Hi.

I hadn't thought of that. I gave it a go and programmed the necessary control changes into my sequencer and it certainly does work but being the usual low effort/high reward sort of guitarist it's quite a production to do it on the sequencer I use these days (Genoqs Octopus). The main attraction of your excellent gadget is to be able to hit those chord keys and record the output in the Genoqs for further tweaking or bouncing through an arpeggiator then back again. It's the immediacy of it that I like. The riffs are easy to program on the Genoqs but it's a pain to do the transposition. I'm planning on using CC from a foot pedal to change the chords while jamming on the Octo so don't want to be too involved with the NDLR, physically. Currently I would have to send two CCs to effect the tonal centre and mode change which is a bit of a pain on the Octo and can't be done from the foot pedal I have. Thanks though.
Plus it would be cool to be able to do drop 2 or drop 3 voicings plus the old trick of middle voice up or down an octave.