Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SOLVED] USB MIDI: Hardware or Configuration Issue?
Hi, all.

I've been using NDLR for about week with synths connected via MIDI DIN. For past couple of days, I've been trying to integrate softsynths via USB MIDI.

I get no MIDI data (except for clock, as monitored through MIDI monitor on the Macbook).

Rather than going through all the permutations I've tried (MIDI channel settings in NDLR, iPad and Macbook Pro, different apps, swapped cables, etc.), I'm wondering if any of you might be able to provide a detailed step-by-step description of what I can do to determine whether I've got a NDLR hardware issue or a configuration issues. Some urgency, since I may need to return the unit.

Any help would be very much appreciated. 

Thanks!

-Matt.
(11-13-2020, 11:13 AM)mgray Wrote: Hi, all.

I've been using NDLR for about week with synths connected via MIDI DIN. For past couple of days, I've been trying to integrate softsynths via USB MIDI.

I get no MIDI data (except for clock, as monitored through MIDI monitor on the Macbook).

Rather than going through all the permutations I've tried (MIDI channel settings in NDLR, iPad and Macbook Pro, different apps, swapped cables, etc.), I'm wondering if any of you might be able to provide a detailed step-by-step description of what I can do to determine whether I've got a NDLR hardware issue or a configuration issues. Some urgency, since I may need to return the unit.

Any help would be very much appreciated. 

Thanks!

-Matt.

Hi Matt,
I don't have a Mac, but if you are receiving MIDI Data at all (including clock) then it's most likely to be a configuration issue. I would start out by selecting one part, say Motif1, and from settings page 1/3 set the MIDI Channel to whichever channel, but make sure to select ALL, so for for instance Motif 1 - 2All. this way it will be transmitted on all 4 of the virtual MIDI ports and show up on whichever one you're monitoring. After you confirm it works, you can select individual ports until you identify the port you are observing. Once you figure out which port you want, set the other parts up to the channels you would like to use on that port. I would recommend using just one port with whatever DAW you use, as that is really all that you need. The reason we include 4 Ports is if you were using stand alone soft syths (in windows at least) you would be unable to use the same port for multiple synths as each synth "takes up the whole port" so to speak. With a DAW you can use multiple channels on one port without having to worry about that issue, so it makes more sense to choose one port and stick with it. 

If anyone else reading this uses a Mac and would care to chime in on this that would be most appreciated. 

If that doesn't work let me know and I'll try to help you figure out whats up. 
Jesse
Jesse, thanks so much for the detailed reply. I went through the routines as you described. Still no luck. Then, after more meticulous tests, I revisited the cable variable. It turns out that each of the two USB cables I was testing with were faulty in some way (they worked on some other devices (such as between synths), but not on the NDLR. Swapped in a third cable, and got it rolling.

Thanks again for your help, Jesse.

-Matt
(11-17-2020, 06:10 AM)mgray Wrote: Jesse, thanks so much for the detailed reply. I went through the routines as you described. Still no luck. Then, after more meticulous tests, I revisited the cable variable. It turns out that each of the two USB cables I was testing with were faulty in some way (they worked on some other devices (such as between synths), but not on the NDLR. Swapped in a third cable, and got it rolling.

Thanks again for your help, Jesse.

-Matt

Hell yeah! Nice work Matt.