Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Drone clicks (note off drift?)
I'm having an issue with my NDLR drone (really everywhere, but not as noticeable). Most drone hits come out as clicks for me on my MPC One. After some investigation, I've found most of the note-offs are occuring just after the note-ons. This results in most of the drone coming out as soft clicks. There seems to be a slight drift, so occassionally the full drone will play, but usually not. This doesn't seem to change whether on internal or external clock. Again, this actually occurs any time the same note is played sequentially, not just drone (for anything but the drone, it's kind of a cool randomizer, imo)

I couldn't find this in another thread, but maybe I missed something.

Thanks for any assistance.

-Kevin
(11-12-2020, 01:38 PM)blackistone Wrote: I'm having an issue with my NDLR drone (really everywhere, but not as noticeable). Most drone hits come out as clicks for me on my MPC One. After some investigation, I've found most of the note-offs are occuring just after the note-ons. This results in most of the drone coming out as soft clicks. There seems to be a slight drift, so occassionally the full drone will play, but usually not. This doesn't seem to change whether on internal or external clock. Again, this actually occurs any time the same note is played sequentially, not just drone (for anything but the drone, it's kind of a cool randomizer, imo)

-Kevin

Hi Kevin, I have seen people discuss similar experiences before, you may have a peek at this thread for instance. I am fairly certain this is an issue involving the midi device rather than the NDLR, however if you want to make sure the NDLR is outputting note off messages before it sends note on messages you should be able to use MIDIox to monitor the raw MIDI data real time to test this out. If you want help with that I'd be happy to help you set that test up. 
Hopefully someone with the same device will chime in here and be able to offer some assistance, but if not I'd recommend reaching out to Akai, their support staff may have some ideas to try out. 
You may try doing something like setting sustain and release to 0 and using a long decay instead and see if that gives you back your individual notes at least. Not perfect but worth a shot. 
Jesse
(11-12-2020, 07:07 PM)Jesse Johannesen Wrote:
(11-12-2020, 01:38 PM)blackistone Wrote: I'm having an issue with my NDLR drone (really everywhere, but not as noticeable). Most drone hits come out as clicks for me on my MPC One. After some investigation, I've found most of the note-offs are occuring just after the note-ons. This results in most of the drone coming out as soft clicks. There seems to be a slight drift, so occassionally the full drone will play, but usually not. This doesn't seem to change whether on internal or external clock. Again, this actually occurs any time the same note is played sequentially, not just drone (for anything but the drone, it's kind of a cool randomizer, imo)

-Kevin

Hi Kevin, I have seen people discuss similar experiences before, you may have a peek at this thread for instance. I am fairly certain this is an issue involving the midi device rather than the NDLR, however if you want to make sure the NDLR is outputting note off messages before it sends note on messages you should be able to use MIDIox to monitor the raw MIDI data real time to test this out. If you want help with that I'd be happy to help you set that test up. 
Hopefully someone with the same device will chime in here and be able to offer some assistance, but if not I'd recommend reaching out to Akai, their support staff may have some ideas to try out. 
You may try doing something like setting sustain and release to 0 and using a long decay instead and see if that gives you back your individual notes at least. Not perfect but worth a shot. 
Jesse

Yes. I should have thought to run a monitor on my computer. The NDLR is indeed sending in consistently order.

What follows is for completeness, for anyone else having the same issue, but this is definitely an akai question at this point.

I thought maybe because they have the same time stamp to the nanosecond, the MPC 'chooses' an order to put them in. MPC One's midi monitor sometimes shows receipt out of order, but usually not, and definitely not often enough to be the problem.

However, the thread you pointed me to mentioned how they are sent legato, which got me thinking of a very simple test - drawing a few of the same note in a row using the mpc's sequence editor, and using it's own legato quantize on them. Sure enough, the same problem arises, so to their forums I go (I have a theory that I can't prove or fix about data structures and floating point errors, but that's not for here)

The only suggestion I could make for a possibly feature is an adjustable note-off offset, but again, this is clearly an akai issue

Thanks!