Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NDLR + Arturia Keystep Pro = Heaven?
The NDLR is my first hardware sequencer and I’m just loving it.  Been watching videos of the Keystep Pro and loving it too.  Could the two be a match made in heaven for my little hybrid modular/MIDI/Ableton studio? 

NDLR could run the drone, pads, and arps, while the Keystep Pro could run the melodies, drums, FX..  Sounds like all the sequencers I’ll need. 

Anybody using the two together?  

The Keystep Pro has two MIDI outs and one in, would I be able to sync up my gear?  Or should I start thinking about a MIDI hub?

Thanks!
(11-11-2020, 12:49 AM)Electro Something Wrote: The NDLR is my first hardware sequencer and I’m just loving it.  Been watching videos of the Keystep Pro and loving it too.  Could the two be a match made in heaven for my little hybrid modular/MIDI/Ableton studio? 

NDLR could run the drone, pads, and arps, while the Keystep Pro could run the melodies, drums, FX..  Sounds like all the sequencers I’ll need. 

Anybody using the two together?  

The Keystep Pro has two MIDI outs and one in, would I be able to sync up my gear?  Or should I start thinking about a MIDI hub?

Thanks!

They do seem extremely complementary, You could use one track of the keystep pro and send it to the NDLR Ctrl channel, selecting what chords to play etc, adding external sequencing capabilities to the NDLR. I haven't explored the KSP manual yet, but if it does something like song mode, you would be able to easily create more longform performances and free up your hands for knob wiggling. I may have to get one of those myself!
Jesse

I did a little bit of digging and the pro version can also send and sequence MIDI CCs as well as note data, using the control channel. This would allow you to send CCs at the beginning of a pattern that change the key and mode, or automate changes in the patch such as which pattern a motif plays or the clock division, so many options! The NDLR manual has a list of MIDI CC numbers near the end (I think just before the appendix) if you want to see what all can be controlled in such a way.
Of course this is in no way limited to the Keystep Pro, you could do the same kinds of things with a DAW, or MPC Live, or any sequencer that sends MIDI CC data, really.
Jesse