Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stuck MIDI Notes?
(12-26-2020, 10:50 PM)Jesse Johannesen Wrote: I think what perhaps is happening here is that we are confusing a stop message with pausing the incoming clock. If I set the NDLR to external clock it literally waits for each new clock pulse to do it's next thing, so if you pause the clock while a note is playing it will play forever until it receives the clock tick where it is scheduled to end.
Another way to think about it is this: when you stop the clock, the NDLR treats that as a reaaaaaaalllly slooooowwww bpm.
With a midi stop message, it will end all playing notes. That doesn't happen with pausing the clock. If you need that behavior it would be better to have a midi device clocking NDLR and sending clock downstream to the Modular. 

Jesse

Thanks Jesse and sorry it took a while to get back to you but GMail thought that the forum notification email was spam.

You were very clear: from a NDLR perspective, the PNW stopping is indistinguishable from an infinitely slow CV clock in. However, there still is something I believe the NDLR should do: if the user stops a part using the front panel buttons, the NDLR should generate "to itself" a stop message for the note that is currently playing in that part. In principle, that is a logical thing to do, and would solve the problem I described originally. What do you reckon?
(12-29-2020, 07:20 AM)giacecco Wrote:
(12-26-2020, 10:50 PM)Jesse Johannesen Wrote: I think what perhaps is happening here is that we are confusing a stop message with pausing the incoming clock. If I set the NDLR to external clock it literally waits for each new clock pulse to do it's next thing, so if you pause the clock while a note is playing it will play forever until it receives the clock tick where it is scheduled to end.
Another way to think about it is this: when you stop the clock, the NDLR treats that as a reaaaaaaalllly slooooowwww bpm.
With a midi stop message, it will end all playing notes. That doesn't happen with pausing the clock. If you need that behavior it would be better to have a midi device clocking NDLR and sending clock downstream to the Modular. 

Jesse

Thanks Jesse and sorry it took a while to get back to you but GMail thought that the forum notification email was spam.

You were very clear: from a NDLR perspective, the PNW stopping is indistinguishable from an infinitely slow CV clock in. However, there still is something I believe the NDLR should do: if the user stops a part using the front panel buttons, the NDLR should generate "to itself" a stop message for the note that is currently playing in that part. In principle, that is a logical thing to do, and would solve the problem I described originally. What do you reckon?

Let me take a look at this on my unit, I think it should already do that, buuut I had better go check before I shoot my mouth off.