Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[ALMOST SOLVED] 6x time the external clock?
Hi All, I am learning the NDLR and I am loving it this far. 

Something I cannot explain myself since I got the device is the following: I am getting the clock over USB from Bitwig Studio, and the NLDR is behaving fine, but the NDLR screen shows 6 times the value! (without going 6x faster). Both the DAW and the NDLR are set for 24 PPQ / FP (besides, the ClkInPPQ cannot be changed in NDLR). 

Any suggestions? Thanks.

G.
(10-19-2020, 10:48 AM)giacecco Wrote: Hi All, I am learning the NDLR and I am loving it this far. 

Something I cannot explain myself since I got the device is the following: I am getting the clock over USB from Bitwig Studio, and the NLDR is behaving fine, but the NDLR screen shows 6 times the value! (without going 6x faster). Both the DAW and the NDLR are set for 24 PPQ / FP (besides, the ClkInPPQ cannot be changed in NDLR). 

Any suggestions? Thanks.

G.

Does the MIDI clock out also show six times clock? like if you send it to a drum machine is the drum pattern playing back faster than expected? I haven't come across this to my recollection, however I would start troubleshooting by turning MIDI clock off for USB2-4 in the Boot Menu. To do this hold [shift+menu] while powering on the unit. Once the menu appears, press motif2 to toggle until it shows USB1 selected. Press Panic to save an finish booting up.
See if that makes a difference.
Jesse
My comment may not be helpful but it isn't happening with Cubase ... I've testing the midi clock with Cubase.  Can you post a photo of what you are seeing on the screen when you say it shows 6 times faster.. If you are hearing it  only could be you are using subdivision on the motif 1 or motif 2.
Hi All, thanks to your suggestions the mystery is unveiled. I was sending the clock to the NDLR 5x times too many, however some of the maths is still off. See below.

Bitwig's master clock was 100, and the clock reading on the NDLR was 600. 

By default, Bitwig sends the clock to all devices, which means also all of NDLR's USB ports, so, in Bitwig, not in NDLR's boot menu, I turned off 3 out of 4 clock sendings and the new clock went down from 600 to... 200! (see the configuration here https://imgur.com/UxlkOS6 ). Why not 300?

Next, I turned off also sending clock on USB 1... and NLDR was still receiving clock! 

So I've realised that to control the NDLR I was using Bitwig's "HW instrument" tool that was sending its own clock too (see https://imgur.com/xZ1pSct ). I've turned that off, and the clock on the NDLR now matches the DAW.

Still, why was the clock 600 and not 500 in the first place? That remains a mystery.