Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chord Sequencer Issue
Hi,

i have fw 1.1.066

when I run the chord sequencer for example on the pad it randomly start with an unexpected stroke of the first chord (sometimes every 2,3,4,5 tries) then it waits a moment (not always the same amount of time) and then it starts to send the correct sequence.
If the chord sequencer is newly opened there is no red box showing the song part that is playing and during this unexpected first chord the red box doesn't show up appearing later when the correct sequence starts.
Where could this first random chord come from?

thank you, bless
(09-05-2020, 10:01 AM)Mescalina Wrote: Hi,

i have fw 1.1.066

when I run the chord sequencer for example on the pad it randomly start with an unexpected stroke of the first chord (sometimes every 2,3,4,5 tries) then it waits a moment (not always the same amount of time) and then it starts to send the correct sequence.
If the chord sequencer is newly opened there is no red box showing the song part that is playing and during this unexpected first chord the red box doesn't show up appearing later when the correct sequence starts.
Where could this first random chord come from?

thank you, bless
Hey Mescalina,
I am not 100% sure I understand what is happening exactly. It sounds like what's happening is that with the Chord sequencer enabled and all parts stopped, if you enable the pad (for example), the pad initially plays a chord but not in time with the sequence?

Do you mean by "sometimes every 2,3,4,5 tries", that it doesn't always occur but does happen more often than not? or the opposite, that it happens but sometimes it works right 5 times before experiencing the issue again?

I'll try to see if I can get mine to do this and let you know what I find out. In the mean time, I think there are a few things you can try:
A. you might want to update to the newest firmware. The instructions can be found at:
https://conductivelabs.com/download/

and you can find the most recent firmware here:
https://conductivelabs.com/forum/forumdi...php?fid=10

I can't remember if we've addressed any bugs in the Chord Sequencer but it can't hurt.

B. You could take a look at the settings menu entry for Pad quantizer and if it's off, try turning that on to one of the options to see if that's the issue.

Thanks for letting me know, it's really helpful when these kinds of things get reported, because then we can get them fixed. I'll report back and let you know what I find out as far as getting my device to recreate this issue.

Take care,
Jesse Johannesen
(09-05-2020, 10:13 PM)Jesse Wrote: I am not 100% sure I understand what is happening exactly. It sounds like what's happening is that with the Chord sequencer enabled and all parts stopped, if you enable the pad (for example), the pad initially plays a chord but not in time with the sequence?

Do you mean by "sometimes every 2,3,4,5 tries", that it doesn't always occur but does happen more often than not? or the opposite, that it happens but sometimes it works right 5 times before experiencing the issue again?

I'll try to see if I can get mine to do this and let you know what I find out. In the mean time, I think there are a few things you can try:
A. you might want to update to the newest firmware. The instructions can be found at:

I can't remember if we've addressed any bugs in the Chord Sequencer but it can't hurt.

B. You could take a look at the settings menu entry for Pad quantizer and if it's off, try turning that on to one of the options to see if that's the issue.

Thanks for letting me know, it's really helpful when these kinds of things get reported, because then we can get them fixed. I'll report back and let you know what I find out as far as getting my device to recreate this issue.

Take care,
Jesse Johannesen

Hi Jesse, thanks for taking the time to answer.

with sometimes I mean that it's very random, sometimes it works properly for 4-5 times in a row and then is wrong for 2 after, sometimes it's more like 1 right and 1 wrong, I can surely say that it's totally random but that it is very rare to have more than 5 correct beginnings in a row.

I'm gonna try with the leatest fw, I didn't do it cause it's still a beta release. Am I gonna lose my patterns and chord sequences when I update?

The pad quantizer is set to 1/4 but any other settings, including the off one doesn't seem to fix the issue.

take care you too,
Claudio

Hi Jesse,
I just installed the 1.1.070 fw and the issue is still there

Now i have another little bug that wasn't present before:
If I arm a track, then I close and reopen the chord sequencer menu when I turn the arm knob to the left to disarm the sequence it doesn't work unless I first turn the knob to the right.

Here is a video showing the issue, the ndlr is connected to a microfreak. I've tried using the clock via midi and via clock out but it doesn't make any difference.
I've also tried to connect the ndlr to an ipad via usb and the issue is still present so it's not microfreak related.

https://youtu.be/s-QsK8ydeOI

Another issue I've noticed (it was present also with the 066 fw) is that if I start the pad and then stop it, very often the last note gets stuck and I need to press the start all button a couple of times in order to stop it.

I've also just noticed another small issue ( don't hate me Smile )
When I have this phantom chord at the beginning the red box that shows which section step is active sometimes is out of synch with the sound is generating.
(09-06-2020, 10:58 AM)Mescalina Wrote:
(09-05-2020, 10:13 PM)Jesse Wrote: I am not 100% sure I understand what is happening exactly. It sounds like what's happening is that with the Chord sequencer enabled and all parts stopped, if you enable the pad (for example), the pad initially plays a chord but not in time with the sequence?

Take care,
Jesse Johannesen

Hi Jesse, thanks for taking the time to answer.

with sometimes I mean that it's very random, sometimes it works properly for 4-5 times in a row and then is wrong for 2 after, sometimes it's more like 1 right and 1 wrong, I can surely say that it's totally random but that it is very rare to have more than 5 correct beginnings in a row.

I'm gonna try with the leatest fw, I didn't do it cause it's still a beta release. Am I gonna lose my patterns and chord sequences when I update?

The pad quantizer is set to 1/4 but any other settings, including the off one doesn't seem to fix the issue.

take care you too,
Claudio

Hi Jesse,
I just installed the 1.1.070 fw and the issue is still there

Now i have another little bug that wasn't present before:
If I arm a track, then I close and reopen the chord sequencer menu when I turn the arm knob to the left to disarm the sequence it doesn't work unless I first turn the knob to the right.

Here is a video showing the issue, the ndlr is connected to a microfreak. I've tried using the clock via midi and via clock out but it doesn't make any difference.
I've also tried to connect the ndlr to an ipad via usb and the issue is still present so it's not microfreak related.

https://youtu.be/s-QsK8ydeOI

Another issue I've noticed (it was present also with the 066 fw) is that if I start the pad and then stop it, very often the last note gets stuck and I need to press the start all button a couple of times in order to stop it.

I've also just noticed another small issue ( don't hate me Smile )
When I have this phantom chord at the beginning the red box that shows which section step is active sometimes is out of synch with the sound is generating.
Thank you Claudio,
This is all great information,

1. As far as the update procedure goes update doesn't affect saved pattern and chord seq data, though if you are updating from a version before 1.1.066 you would need to do a factory reset afterwards due to updated save state data formatting. You won't need to do this however.

2. I'll see if I can confirm the arm disarm bug on my end and add it to the bug tracker.

3. I've seen that pad last-note sticking issue before but it seems rather elusive, for instance I haven't had it happen to me for months, but one of the guys I tutor has it occur frequently. If I could get more info about how you're interfacing with the NDLR when that occurs it may be helpful in finding what needs fixing. For instance if it's only when connected to a Mac while using USB on Tuesday (obviously not the case, but you know what I mean) the more details the better chance I can find the bug. You can easily stop all notes by holding [SHIFT] and pressing [Panic] (AKA the motif1/2 button).

4. The display has the lowest priority in the hierarchy of the device, so it may not update as fast to ensure the actual output IS updated on time. It may also be a bug, I can take a look and see.

5. Thank you for the video, I'll show this to Steve and see what he makes of it.

Thanks again,
I'll let you know what I find out.
Jesse
Hi Jesse,

1. As far as the update procedure goes update doesn't affect saved pattern and chord seq data, though if you are updating from a version before 1.1.066 you would need to do a factory reset afterwards due to updated save state data formatting. You won't need to do this however.
I did the update but the bug is still there

3. I've seen that pad last-note sticking issue before but it seems rather elusive, for instance I haven't had it happen to me for months, but one of the guys I tutor has it occur frequently. If I could get more info about how you're interfacing with the NDLR when that occurs it may be helpful in finding what needs fixing. For instance if it's only when connected to a Mac while using USB on Tuesday (obviously not the case, but you know what I mean) the more details the better chance I can find the bug. You can easily stop all notes by holding [SHIFT] and pressing [Panic] (AKA the motif1/2 button).
The panic button is not stopping it, the only way I found is to send a start all/stop all command. Sometimes I need to do it twice in order to stop the outgoing signal.

4. The display has the lowest priority in the hierarchy of the device, so it may not update as fast to ensure the actual output IS updated on time. It may also be a bug, I can take a look and see.
It could be a priority issue but I feel it's not, when the sequence starts in the correct way the box is always perfectly in synch

Bless,

Claudio
(09-07-2020, 01:33 AM)Mescalina Wrote: Hi Jesse,

I did the update but the bug is still there

The panic button is not stopping it, the only way I found is to send a start all/stop all command. Sometimes I need to do it twice in order to stop the outgoing signal.

It could be a priority issue but I feel it's not, when the sequence starts in the correct way the box is always perfectly in synch

Bless,

Claudio
Thanks Claudio,
I'll be out of town for the rest of the week, but I'll take a look at this in a little bit more detail when I return.
Best,
Jesse
Hi Jesse, I have an update that could help understand where is the issue.
I've just noticed that the wrong chord at the beginning is the last chord played by the sequencer before stopping it. Even if I disarm, close and reopen the sequencer menu and then rearm it sometimes at the beginning you have the last chord from the previous played sequence getting triggered.

By the way the chord sequencer seems to have other issues, for example I made a simple C-F-C-G sequence with a 4x repetition in the song but when I play it I get a C-F-C-C, the final G is not properly played. If I edit the 4x in the song to something else and then put it back to 4 it starts working properly. I've tried both with chord inversions enabled and disabled but it made no difference.
I have no idea if these issues are specific to my machine or to all of them but I can say that the chord sequencer I have is really unreliable and impossible to trust in a live scenario Sad

Bless,
Claudio
(09-08-2020, 04:24 AM)Mescalina Wrote: Also the CC implementation for loading chord sequences as reported in the firmware thread is not accessing all available Chord sequences. I have reported this. 
===================

Hi Jesse, I have an update that could help understand where is the issue.
I've just noticed that the wrong chord at the beginning is the last chord played by the sequencer before stopping it. Even if I disarm, close and reopen the sequencer menu and then rearm it sometimes at the beginning you have the last chord from the previous played sequence getting triggered.

By the way the chord sequencer seems to have other issues, for example I made a simple C-F-C-G sequence with a 4x repetition in the song but when I play it I get a C-F-C-C, the final G is not properly played. If I edit the 4x in the song to something else and then put it back to 4 it starts working properly. I've tried both with chord inversions enabled and disabled but it made no difference.
I have no idea if these issues are specific to my machine or to all of them but I can say that the chord sequencer I have is really unreliable and impossible to trust in a live scenario Sad

Bless,
Claudio
(09-08-2020, 04:24 AM)Mescalina Wrote: By the way the chord sequencer seems to have other issues, for example I made a simple C-F-C-G sequence with a 4x repetition in the song but when I play it I get a C-F-C-C, the final G is not properly played. If I edit the 4x in the song to something else and then put it back to 4 it starts working properly. I've tried both with chord inversions enabled and disabled but it made no difference.

I think i'm seeing the same thing. I set up a chord sequence for parts A & B, and then set up a song using Ax1, then Bx1. Everything worked. If i then go back and edit the chords in part A (or part B)  those changes aren't reflected in whats being played back. Even if I stop and restart playback, or arm/disarm. The only way it could get it to work was to edit the song - ie. change Ax1 to something else then change it back again.  

(I'm new here - loving the NDLR btw!)
I also see the hung note issue pretty reliably.
On the pad channel, strum is enabled, and i have position & range modulation being used (though setting these to 0% seems to have no effect on the bug). 7 notes, spread is set to 2. It's sent on MIDI A2 (via a midi splitter) to a KingKorg. I have a 2 part chord sequence running. Panic button does nothing to stop the hung note. It doesn't 100% occur, but i feel like its more likely to go wrong if I've let the chord sequence loop a few times.

On further testing... I cant seem to repro it if i have strum set to 1 (ie. no strum), so maybe that's a factor.