Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The NDLR + iPAD (p2): MIDI over USB
I’ve been getting a lot of questions about using The NDLR with an iPad.  Ever since we got MIDI over USB working I have been using an iPad for testing and several different configurations. Here’s what I’ve learned... 

Part 2 - MIDI over USB...

The NDLR provides 4 MIDI ports over USB,  so when you select a port for a synthesizer on your iPad you should see 4 MIDI ports in the user interface labeled NDLR1, 2, 3 & 4.  This makes it super easy to use 4 different synthesizers on the iPad.  We chose 4 because each MIDI port can be used one per each part of The NDLR (Pad, Drone, & 2 Motifs).

Even though each synthesizer uses a different MIDI port, it’s still important to make sure that both the MIDI port and channel match in both the iPad synthesizer app and on The NDLR in the System 1 menu.  Also if you’re going to use more than one synthesizer on your iPad, make sure that your iPad synthesizers can run as a background app. This way if you switch focus to another synthesizer app, all of the synthesizer apps will continue to play. 

If you’re using a multitemporal app like LayR this is less important because one app will produce all the sounds for all The NDLR parts (Pad, Drone, & 2 Motifs).