Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Extreme Ironing
Heart 
Back in the 90’s I used to do the tabletop techno thing, various pieces of Roland equipment linked together using midi, sync24, cv and gate. A live performance included momentary breaks to squint at scrappy pieces of paper with notes and entering them into the Roland SH 101 sequencer. Nine times out of ten you recreated the intended sequence. Ironing boards were a crucial piece of equipment serving as rickety stands for the instruments. One thing I loved about the SH 101 was the ability to advance the sequencer steps using an external trigger, so you could set up odd sequences by mismatching the number of notes and triggers.

I have a lot of admiration for what the Ndlr does, separating the rhythm from the list of notes is an excellent design decision. I’ve enjoyed routing the LFO to the clock divisor and another LFO to pattern numbers, yielding plenty of variation from simple building blocks. I like the way Ndlr encourages experimentation and think of it as working in a tonal landscape rather than following a predetermined score – curated possibilities! With the LFOs, rhythms and note patterns the Ndlr is like a modular arp sequencer and it uses proper 5 pin midi.

I want to thank you Steve and Daryl, the Ndlr is a great tool, quite unique and really suits my way of working. Good luck with the future development. 

Heart
Thank you very much Tim for the kind words! You have accurately described the intent and best way to approach The NDLR as we have envisioned it. We often second guess ourselves on the separated rhythm editor, its a pretty weird thing. However, it was done for the reason you describe; to enable experimentation and happy accidents. Breaking down all of the components of an arpeggiator and putting them on knobs is also pretty unique as far as we know, but for the most part it yielded the results we desired.