Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NDLR Crash/Freeze
Hello NOODLERS,

happily mine made it thru customs a few days ago, so i had some time to get in touch with that lovely device. 
i´m pretty stunned about the posibilitys to controll the functions via cc messages. 
i´m currently using a Keystep getting synced by the NDLR to have tempo and key synced arpeggios and a Behringer BCR 2000 to change parameters like Position of Pad/Drone/Motifs, their length etc. 
When i change one parameter at a time it works fine but when i change more at a time the NDLR seems to get a bit overwhelmed and tends to crash or freeze. It goes that far that even start/stop all parts doesnt help. 
Im running Firmware 1.1009
Does anyone know a solution ?  

Thanks in advance !

Greetings from Germany 

Patrick
Hi Patrick,
There have been several bugs and updates since 1.1009, the latestest FW is 1.1017 which you can down load from the forum. It requires you to be logged-in to download. There is a list of updates and bug fixes in the FW update posts.

Once you do the update, let’s us know if you are still having issues.

On a side note we stuffed a lot of features in that little box to make it as flexible as possible. However there is a theoretical limit to how much the CPU can handle at the same time. We made the design choice to add more options then maybe possible to run at the same time for “use case” flexibility.
Steve
Hey Steve, 

Thanks for your reply ! 
Just before your answer i found Version 1.1014 which i have installed yet. Do you think i should go straight for Version 1.1017 ? 
Is there any chance to upgrade the CPU to handle things like that or to cut out functions which i would not need ? 
I try to limit the CC commands at a time but it kind of shortens the fun :/
(02-17-2019, 01:39 PM)Patrick Jahn Wrote: Hey Steve, 

Thanks for your reply ! 
Just before your answer i found Version 1.1014 which i have installed yet. Do you think i should go straight for Version 1.1017 ? 
Is there any chance to upgrade the CPU to handle things like that or to cut out functions which i would not need ? 

As far as the firmware version the newer the better.  :-). 
 What I was trying to say about the CPU power is that any computer device can be overloaded by tasks.     The trade-off is the flexibility that the device offers.

I totally understand about wanting to modulate every cc or every aspect of all four parts :-). That’s why there are so many options.

I have found in the last two years of development that there is plenty of headroom, flexibility and combinations that sounds really great and there’s no need to over load the system.  

In fact often the simpler the better. It generally takes me about 20 minutes to dial-in a good noodling session.  What I mean by that is choosing the right patterns, the right amount of modulation, chord progressions, etc, but also spending a lot of time choosing the right patches on my synths so that they sound good together. I try keeping the four parts sonically separated typically by frequency range too.
Steve
(02-18-2019, 09:38 AM)Steve Wrote:
(02-17-2019, 01:39 PM)Patrick Jahn Wrote: Hey Steve, 

Thanks for your reply ! 

As far as the firmware version the newer the better.  :-). 
 What I was trying to say about the CPU power is that any computer device can be overloaded by tasks.     The trade-off is the flexibility that the device offers.

I totally understand about wanting to modulate every cc or every aspect of all four parts :-). That’s why there are so many options.

I have found in the last two years of development that there is plenty of headroom, flexibility and combinations that sounds really great and there’s no need to over load the system.  

In fact often the simpler the better. It generally takes me about 20 minutes to dial-in a good noodling session.  What I mean by that is choosing the right patterns, the right amount of modulation, chord progressions, etc, but also spending a lot of time choosing the right patches on my synths so that they sound good together. I try keeping the four parts sonically separated typically by frequency range too.
Steve

after updating to 1.1017 and trying different cc mappings i get really good results ! im about to order a second unit Big Grin
Hey Steve, 

Found a bug. 
Sending cc command 29, to change the strumtype of the pad, causes the pad to immediate move to the lowest octave without changing one of the seven strumtypes. 
Midi cc 31 to change the spread of the pad doesn´t work either. 
I´m on firmware 1.020

Greetings

patrick
Thanks for reporting this, we'll check it out.
(03-06-2019, 05:21 AM)Patrick Jahn Wrote: Found a bug. (2x...)
Sending cc command 29...   Midi cc 31 to change the spread of the pad doesn´t work either. 
I´m on firmware 1.020

Hi Patrick,
Thx for taking the time to share your bug sighting!  This totally helps us make The NDLR better for all!!! :-)

Fixed... the CC mapping for the Pad was definitely not working because of bad values in an internal lookup table...

This will be released soon in the next beta FW.

Steve
(03-08-2019, 04:32 PM)Steve Wrote:
(03-06-2019, 05:21 AM)Patrick Jahn Wrote: Found a bug. (2x...)
Sending cc command 29...   Midi cc 31 to change the spread of the pad doesn´t work either. 
I´m on firmware 1.020

Hi Patrick,
Thx for taking the time to share your bug sighting!  This totally helps us make The NDLR better for all!!! :-)

Fixed... the CC mapping for the Pad was definitely not working because of bad values in an internal lookup table...

This will be released soon in the next beta FW.

Steve

Thats awesome news ! I would have some more improvemnt ideas, but ill sum it all up and send you a message.
Thanks for that awesome product ! 

Heart
Updated to Firmware 1.029 and all the bugs are fixed. I have the feeling that it runs even more stable. <3 it