Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Inconsistent Encoder behavior still an issue
There are 2 hardware versions, (well 3 but the last two are basically the same for the purposes of this discussion) the first round of hardware had free rotating encoders, the latter version has clicky (detented) encoders. The issue being discussed is due to the fact that both hardware versions need to run the same firmware and it was difficult to edit small values with the free rotating encoders since they don't let you know with a click when they've moved to a new value, so we made it so you have to go a couple or a few values for some things so that you don't constantly go past where you meant to when editing on a version 1 unit.
If the unit you get is a version 1 unit it won't have the issue because it will have free rotating encoders, but those are also easier to bump and change a value than their clicky V2 cousins, so it's kind of a pick your poison situation. I use a free rotating one myself and I don't really have any complaints, but it also doesn't bother me that much that I have to click a couple times for some things on V2 hardware either so I would be happy whichever way it turned out.
I am putting together a list of things I want to try to address in future firmware updates, and this is definitely near the top if we can find a way to do it. No guarantee, but I see the need and I will advocate for finding a solution.
Thanks,
Jesse
I picked up a NDLR recently (with detented encoders) and while it's a joy to use I would agree that having one-value-per-click would make the experience much better. Would it be possible to add a setting for "Encoder sensitivity: high/low" to satisfy both V1 and V2/V3 units?
Gear: NDLR, Korg Monologue, Korg Minilogue xd, Roland TR-8S, TE OP-1
(04-30-2021, 02:34 AM)vaporwarez Wrote: I picked up a NDLR recently (with detented encoders) and while it's a joy to use I would agree that having one-value-per-click would make the experience much better. Would it be possible to add a setting for "Encoder sensitivity: high/low" to satisfy both V1 and V2/V3 units?

This is definitely something that has been suggested before, and it is definitely one of the things I'm pushing for. Thanks for the feedback, I'll let you know if we get it sorted down the road.
Jesse
Hello, thank you for pushing this. I also just got a NDLR with detented encoders and I am a bit disappointed about how they randomly don’t work. It makes the unit feel a bit cheap.
I'm just giving this a little bump.

A setting for fixing the behavior in V2+3 would be very much appreciated. I agree that the current behavior makes the unit feel cheap and unreliable, so it's a bit of a shame that this is still the result of an early-stage design issue.

Not sure if this is related to the encoders issue, but I also find the push-buttons to be unreliable. A quick click has a very high probability of resulting in nothing.