Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Buttons and encoders not reliable and laggy
Hi all,

I've just started using my NDLR. I already received it back in November but I haven't been home for the past months. 

I quickly noticed problems with the responsiveness of all buttons. Pressed slow they seem to work. Pressed quickly (with light tap) they are very unreliable. The haptic feedback from the click does not at all mean the press is registered.

I can fairly quickly alternate between two buttons and more often then not the clicks are not registered. Switching quickly between two buttons is not something you might want to do, but I also get failures when I start pressing around the different modal stages and don't press down long enough, and that seems problematic to me. I do think you will get used to this after a while and learn to make each press firmly enough, but it I think it gives a bad overall feel to the hardware.

To me this seems like a software issue because it equally applies to all buttons. I'm guessing it's related to the logic scanning the button inputs and registering their state. I've started out using firmware that came with (.60?) it but now upgraded to the latest version. Both seem to behave the same.

I also noticed the encoders when turning are similarly laggy, seems like there's a delay of about 100ms between feeling the encoder increment/decrement and seeing the value on the screen change. Similarly to the buttons turning them quickly will result in unpredictable behavior. For example try to making a small turn back and forth on the pattern position. Although it might feel you're doing a similar range, the position will differ because the amount of registered incr/decr steps is fluctuating.

If the Teensy isn't already pushing its limits in terms of CPU cycles, I hope this behavior can be improved quite a bit.

Messages In This Thread
Buttons and encoders not reliable and laggy - by 0x80 - 02-23-2020, 06:30 AM