Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MRCC 880 issue with patch data sysex not transmitting from PC to synth DIN input
SUBJECT
MRCC 880 issue with patch data sysex not transmitting from PC to synth DIN input

Using Conductive Labs MRCC 880
rcvd and tested 2022-10-29

ROUTING:
On the MRC 880, I have the routing set up correctly for
* DIN MIDI OUT to PC IN and
* PC OUT to DIN MIDI IN

=== Testing with a Casio CZ-101 synth ===
SUMMARY:
* DAW and CZ-101 work as expected when transmitting/receiving note/controller information, using MRCC 880

* PROBLEM: sysex from PC to CZ-101 not transmitting successfully in Patch Base patch editor application using MRCC 880, whereas this operation works perfectly with a simple USB to MIDI IN/OUT adapter

ENVIRONMENT:
* Hardware - Casio CZ-101, MRC 880, mac mini
* Software - macOS 11.7, Patch Base patch editor/librarian, Logic Pro, MIDI Monitor

DETAILS:
Have confirmed the following by using the macOS app "MIDI Monitor" and including in its Sources preferences "Spy on output to destinations" => so in effect, the app will display data going *into* and *out of* the PC

1. In the Patch Base app, I can use its virtual keyboard to successfully send Note On/Note Off to the CZ-101, and that data is reflected in MIDI monitor's data window. Just like a DAW, in that respect.

So, notes can be successfully routed to the CZ-101 DIN input from PC, using the MRCC 880.

2. I can use Patch Base's "Fetch" icon to successfully transfer the CZ's current patch to both MIDI Monitor app and Patch Base app -- 264 bytes of sysex -- and I can examine that data in detail in MIDI Monitor app. This is the sysex for 1 CZ patch => so sysex transfer from DIN output to PC input is working as expected.

To perform the dump from CZ to computer (initiated from computer), a dump request is first successfully sent from PC output to CZ DIN input (10 bytes): F0 44 00 00 70 10 60 70 31 F7.

=> So, at least *some* sysex is getting through to CZ DIN input from PC, just not patch data itself.

3. I can load a new patch in the Patch Base editor, from hard drive, and it will successfully populate the app's editor window (per usual) and its data will be reflected in MIDI monitor's data window as being sent to output destinations.

Doing so SHOULD automatically then update the synth's temporary patch memory to the new patch. It DOESN'T, when connected through MRCC 880; it DOES work when connected via a simple USB to MIDI IN/OUT adapter. This is consistent behavior, across many tests.

I can then make a change to the patch in Patch Base, and a complete batch of 264 sysex bytes will again be reflected in MIDI Monitor window, with each change -- i.e., the patch editor is dumping the entire patch's sysex to CZ, on each change. Again, such changes to a patch on the PC are NOT reflected in the synth's temporary patch memory, so no data is apparently getting through to the CZ.

During this operation, I can set the MRCC 880 to "MIDI Mon" and see a brief flash, so apparently something is coming into MRCC; but in any case, data is not then transferred successfully to the CZ-101, no matter which MIDI IN DIN port it is connected to.

- - -
Don't know if a firmware update can address this issue, but as of now, the new unit is not working as expected. I tried lowering the MIDI transmit speed to MRCC Ports in Patch Base -- no joy, same issue.

Thanks for any help. There is nothing on the forums I can see about this issue - nothing much yet about the MRCC 880, in general, as it has just been released.

Messages In This Thread
MRCC 880 issue with patch data sysex not transmitting from PC to synth DIN input - by WireWrangler - 10-30-2022, 03:20 PM