Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Recording notes into the pattern editor
(07-11-2021, 10:43 AM)Nelson Baboon Wrote: I finally got this to work, but (maybe someone can verify), it looks like it only works if the midi controller channel is not the same as the one set up for other sections?

(it could be something else - like it doesn't like channel 1. something that would explain what i'm seeing).

in any case - wanted to explore more midi interaction today (was controlling the pad section with midi cc yesterday, and that works great)

But yeah - it was not working at all when i had but ndlr cntrl midi set to '1 all'. As soon as I changed it to channel 2, and sent the notes to channel 2, it worked. Not a biggie, but I haven't found this discussed (might very well have missed it) or mentioned in the manual. Ideally I use channel 1 for everything - and thus far sending cc messages was working fine with channel 1.

OK so I got a chance to test this out and it looks like writing notes into the pattern only works if the input is being sent to the NDLR Ctrl channel, which on mine is set to channel 15. I would advise not setting the Ctrl channel to one of the same channels and ports of devices that you are sending MIDI out to as the NDLR will intercept all MIDI data being sent to that channel and you won't be able to control downstream devices with things like MIDI CCs or pitchbend messages etc. Even if you aren't using anything like that, it would probably be helpful to separate those channels just in case there is some weird unexpected interaction (like this) where it's unclear whether it should be working or not. Hopefully you've already got this up and running, but if you need more help with it let me know. 

Jesse

(09-04-2021, 09:16 PM)Royce Wrote:
(09-03-2021, 10:37 PM)erickey Wrote: I would love to get my Keystep setup to input notes into the patterns. That's really the only thing missing for me from NDLR (besides randomize)
Hi
there is a randomizing function for the Motif's Pattern and Rhythm in the Library program if you can stand having to do it via USB with a computer.
https://www.bwalk.com.au/NDLR/NDLR.html

All the best
Royce
erickey - By the way, I am using my Keystep to enter notes for the above mentioned testing. Just make sure it's set to the NDLR Ctrl channel (you can find the channel in Menu Settigns 1/3).

Royce- This just got me thinking about trying an experiment where you send motif 1 out to a synth on MIDI out A, and Motif 2 to MIDI B on the NDLR Ctrl channel, then route the MIDI B back into the NDLR with Motif 2 paused, go into the Pattern editor and while Motif 1 plays, start and stop Motif 2 intermittently, and maybe at a diffrent clock div to rewrite the buffer of Motif 1. I wonder if I can make it work?
Jesse

Messages In This Thread
RE: Recording notes into the pattern editor - by Jesse Johannesen - 09-05-2021, 05:24 PM