Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ARGGH - never an evening where everything works/Remote
OK. Today's issue.

I have 2 MRCCs. They are connected via the ethernet cable. Everything was working between the 2 last night.

Today, the indicator for the remote connection (the Y in the upper right) was lit up on MRCC#1, but grayed out on the #2. OK.....

not sure what was going on. Went in and toggled the remote settings (was set up to use the remote with new ports, but not sure how this should work with 2 MRCCs). After toggling this, the indicator is now bright.

But I still cannot make the remote connection. This is between din ports, and thus far this has seemed to work easily, but not today. I select the midi din in #1, and click the Y....but pressing the din out #9 does not do anything at all. I can press a lower numbered port (up through #5) but above that nothing at all happens. I'm at a loss. I'm confident by just doing this over and over and over, at some point it will work, but I'm getting more and more confident that sometimes the shit just does not work, and I just don't know what causes it first not to work, and then to work.

it's so frustrating because I'm at the point where I can set up connections and use other options (was sending midi clock between units yesterday, etc) without thinking. And then I reach these impasses where something easy just does not work.

I also saved to user preset 1, and reloaded, but not all of the din connections were there.

ok. it turns out that #1 had crashed. Beautiful. Rebooted it, and now I can make the connection. But this leads to another question. In addition to losing connections when I power cycle the MRCC, i notice that on #2, if I save to user #1, it comes back up and I see "loading" user 1. On the first unit, when I save as user #1, it comes back up and says that it's loading the factory preset. Why would this be?
Any time you run into this kind of issue, the first step should be power cycle the unit and see if that solves the issue.
("Thank you for calling the IT help desk, have you turning it off and turning it on again?")
As for the saves, it's supposed to load the last slot you saved when it boots, so that seems unusual. I'd see if saving again changes the behavior and if not I would say you may need to do a factory reset if that behavior is critical to you, otherwise you can load whatever preset you like manually.
Jesse
I wonder if it is a timing issue? Most of my USB gear is on the same power strip as one of my MRCCs. They all get powered on at the same time. The second MRCC is on a separate power strip and typically gets turned on after the first one boots up. I haven't been paying close attention to the startup sequence and relate that to when I have connection weirdness. I'll start tracking it to see.

Question for the MRCC devs - what does the MRCC do to detect and assign USB ports? Does it periodically poll the sockets or is there a standard USB protocol that the host gets some type of ping when a device is plugged in?

Same question for multiple MRCCs.
Hey Nelson, can you send me an email at support@conductivelabs.com please. I need to get some further info on this issue.
Jesse
(08-25-2021, 01:54 AM)oldgearguy Wrote: I wonder if it is a timing issue?  Most of my USB gear is on the same power strip as one of my MRCCs.  They all get powered on at the same time.  The second MRCC is on a separate power strip and typically gets turned on after the first one boots up.  I haven't been paying close attention to the startup sequence and relate that to when I have connection weirdness.  I'll start tracking it to see.

Question for the MRCC devs - what does the MRCC do to detect and assign USB ports?  Does it periodically poll the sockets or is there a standard USB protocol that the host gets some type of ping when a device is plugged in? 

Same question for multiple MRCCs.

MRCC's USB ports enumerate the device(s) every time the MRCC is turned on, when the USB device is turned on, or when the device is plugged into the host port. Some USB implementations will poll the ports for new devices. Our code uses a callback, so we're instantly alerted to new devices being attached.

The MRCC to MRCC connection detects when another MRCC is attached. It should not matter if its attached during bootup or if one comes on later. The only time we've seen problems is with some cables that need to be pushed into the socket, as the RJ45 retaining clip didn't hold it in tight enough to the pins to maintain a good contact.
I will update this. My experience has been uniformly excellent for the last 2-3 weeks, once i realized the following.

Routing is part of my improvisatory experience, and this is one reason why i love the MRCC. It is just so much more fun and spontaneous in feel to just update routings using the mrcc, then in Ableton Live - adding more and more and more connections, etc. That just feels sterile.

So I actually find myself rarely even thinking of saving my current settings.

I think that there are issues (documented here) with some usb devices, and I can't pretend to understand the issues involved, only to hope that they can be fixed.

BUT - I guess after that preamble - I find that after power cycling my MRCCs, all connections work. it is just so easy and fast at this point to set up a remote connection. It always works if i remember that it might not unless I 'initialize' the setup by power cycling it. My problems were always with usb devices, especially remote ones.

in any case - i'm not sure if i've seen anywhere whether the issue with 'incompatible' usb devices can be fixed. As I understand it it is usually due to them not booting up fast enough? or something. But my 'system' seems to take care of it. Have 2 pyramids working, and others also.

(I'd love there to be a usb expander for these things. I can definitely see running out of usb ports).

And some issues came down to not understanding the docs - especially (this is beginner stuff, I guess) when to hold down a button, and when it is active and you don't need to or shouldn't. I found that so confusing at first. Now I'm good.

I cannot recall too many purchases in my electronic music life that have so reset my workflow!
Hey Nelson, it's great to read about the impact the MRCC has had on your workflow. Just to give you an update, we think we're onto the bug that is causing the saves to corrupt, which I think may be at the heart of your problem as well. I keep your eye out for a fw update in the next week or so we may need you to test it out (it's moving a little slow because our developer has been down with Covid over the last week).
One other potential reason that may need to be considered as to why you (or anyone else) may not be able to route after a certain point is that there is a hard limit of 50 routings. It seems that we need to add a notification when that occurs, so people know when that is happening. This may not apply of course, but I thought I'd mention it.
Best,
Jesse
(09-10-2021, 09:50 PM)Jesse Johannesen Wrote: Hey Nelson, it's great to read about the impact the MRCC has had on your workflow. Just to give you an update, we think we're onto the bug that is causing the saves to corrupt, which I think may be at the heart of your problem as well. I keep your eye out for a fw update in the next week or so we may need you to test it out (it's moving a little slow because our developer has been down with Covid over the last week).
One other potential reason that may need to be considered as to why you (or anyone else) may not be able to route after a certain point is that there is a hard limit of 50 routings. It seems that we need to add a notification when that occurs, so people know when that is happening. This may not apply of course, but I thought I'd mention it.
Best,
Jesse

Thanks Jesse, 

I have also encountered the "load previously saved configuration" issue a few days ago. The MRCC was stuck at the boot screen and didn't show the routing matrix, even after several power cycles. I intuitively (didn't check the manual, ha ha this says something very positive about your interface design  Wink )  kept the green button pressed at next power on and MRCC recovered nicely into the factory preset. Of course my presets were gone and I cannot load the user preset anymore I created previously.

At the moment it is not a big deal as I also use the fast flexible workflow and can setup real quick routing. But of course for the future loading/saving reliably is important ;-)

Gerry
DAW-less and going down the Eurorack rabbit hole.
Hey Nelson we have a firmware fix for the issue that was scrambling your save files, making it so that some of your channels were un-routable. If you want to try it out go ahead and download it over here:
https://conductivelabs.com/forum/showthr...p?tid=1583
Let me know if it gives you any trouble.
Jesse