Conductive Labs Support Forum
Creative Randomness - Printable Version

+- Conductive Labs Support Forum (https://conductivelabs.com/forum)
+-- Forum: The NDLR (https://conductivelabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Feature Requests (https://conductivelabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: Creative Randomness (/showthread.php?tid=681)

Creative Randomness - branch - 11-23-2019

The short of it: add musical randomisation wherever possible. For example, the pattern
editor could benefit from random pattern generation. Feel free to comment with a NDLR feature that could use a randomize button.

RE: Creative Randomness - Darryl - 11-25-2019

(11-23-2019, 10:02 PM)branch Wrote: The short of it: add musical randomisation wherever possible. For example, the pattern
editor could benefit from random pattern generation. Feel free to comment with a NDLR feature that could use a randomize button.
You can try using the modulation matrix to modulate various NDLR parameter. Maybe try S&H with a degree of Probability for some randomness. 

There isn't a way to address individual steps in a pattern from the modulation matrix, though it has been put on the (long) list of feature requests. There is a workaround though... if you are in the Pattern Editor, you can use a keyboard to change pattern step heights. This means, you could sequence the pattern steps using an external sequencer or software. Something like a Korg SQ-1 or Beatstep would work. Or just switch to the Pattern Editor screen to "play" the pattern with a keyboard as it runs. When you switch away from the Pattern Editor screen, the keyboard can be used to change chords.

RE: Creative Randomness - cronkie - 03-08-2021

New NDLR user here and absolutely loving it. I have it controlling several outboard synths along with softsynths and it's really upped my creative output. Really love the interface and workflow but definitely think having a random pattern generator would be an incredible feature. I love being able to hand craft a pattern and randomize the playback but having the ability to essentially "dice roll" a unique pattern from scratch and use that as a starting point to further modify would be super helpful.

Understand that you probably have a mountain of feature requests but thought I'd bring this one back up! Smile

RE: Creative Randomness - derp - 11-17-2021

I ordered one and have it due to arrive on Saturday. I've been watching the Loopop and Oscillator Sink videos, and my first thought was just this. Pattern Editor and Rhythm Editor would become borderline dangerous if they had random generation. I'll give the developers twelve more dollars if this feature is added. TWELVE DOLLARS!!!

RE: Creative Randomness - Jesse Johannesen - 11-18-2021

Unfortunately there's not much (almost any) space left on the NDLR to add new features, however it is possible to get some really interesting semi random output on the NDLR, you just need to think about how to do it.

I really enjoy using the Patterns as LFO shapes and routing those to things in the MOD Matrix. If you set the frequency to a slow division of the clock then it can be used to switch which pattern is playing like a sequencer. you can even open the pattern editor and make changes to the pattern being used as the LFO real time. It's possible to get to some really interesting places from there.

Targets I will usually modulate this way are Motif Pattern, Chord Degree (less slowly than I would pattern), Clock Div, and Rhythm, but there's no reason you couldn't find other targets as well. It's good to consider the time scale of the modulator and select a frequency that makes sense, like you wouldn't want to pick Key as a target and have the changes happen every step, it would just sound terrible, but if you set it to happen very infrequently it would make more sense, (in this case I would probably modulate that with a square wave so I could go between two keys rather than running all over town with a Pattern, but I just wanted to illustrate the point that timing is important).

I've also had a lot of fun looping Motif 2 back to the input and having it play on the control channel. When your're in the pattern editor notes it plays get added into the pattern so if you edit motif 1 with motif 2 set to random order you basically reseed motif 1 randomly in real time. If you go to the MOD Matrix and set a square wave lfo to enable or disable motif 2 then it will only happen some of the time, giving you new patterns periodically. You can even play around with probability on the LFO to prevent every change from occurring for even more unpredictable changes to occur.

RE: Creative Randomness - derp - 11-24-2021

(11-18-2021, 08:51 AM)Jesse Johannesen Wrote: Unfortunately there's not much (almost any) space left on the NDLR to add new features, however it is possible to get some really interesting semi random output on the NDLR, you just need to think about how to do it.

I really enjoy using the Patterns as LFO shapes and routing those to things in the MOD Matrix. If you set the frequency to a slow division of the clock then it can be used to switch which pattern is playing like a sequencer. you can even open the pattern editor and make changes to the pattern being used as the LFO real time. It's possible to get to some really interesting places from there.

Targets I will usually modulate this way are Motif Pattern, Chord Degree (less slowly than I would pattern), Clock Div, and Rhythm, but there's no reason you couldn't find other targets as well. It's good to consider the time scale of the modulator and select a frequency that makes sense, like you wouldn't want to pick Key as a target and have the changes happen every step, it would just sound terrible, but if you set it to happen very infrequently it would make more sense, (in this case I would probably modulate that with a square wave so I could go between two keys rather than running all over town with a Pattern, but I just wanted to illustrate the point that timing is important).

I've also had a lot of fun looping Motif 2 back to the input and having it play on the control channel. When your're in the pattern editor notes it plays get added into the pattern so if you edit motif 1 with motif 2 set to random order you basically reseed motif 1 randomly in real time. If you go to the MOD Matrix and set a square wave lfo to enable or disable motif 2 then it will only happen some of the time, giving you new patterns periodically. You can even play around with probability on the LFO to prevent every change from occurring for even more unpredictable changes to occur.

Very cool. Thanks for the suggestions!