Conductive Labs Support Forum
rests for pads? call-and-response melodies? - Printable Version

+- Conductive Labs Support Forum (https://conductivelabs.com/forum)
+-- Forum: The NDLR (https://conductivelabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Advanced Features (https://conductivelabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: rests for pads? call-and-response melodies? (/showthread.php?tid=1117)

rests for pads? call-and-response melodies? - Sanjuro77 - 09-07-2020

Hi there,
   Been getting to grips (and loving!) my NDLR and am curious to see if anyone has a solution for adding rests in the pads part when using the chord sequencer?
I started off my NDLR experience mainly doing generative style stuff but recently been getting into a more structured approach using the chord sequencer.  So at the moment the only way I can see of having say the pad part play a chord for 4 beats, then another chord for say 8 beats and then have a rest for 4 beats before repeating, is to use the pad on/off CC (or via the mod matrix).  Is that the best approach?  Bear in mind I don't want to 'mute' the other parts. Ideally adjustable gate lengths would prob work better but as I understand it that's not possible.
I'm trying to find a decent way for call and response style melodies too (say motif1 plays for 1 bar, then motif2 plays for 1bar).  Again, the mute parts are the only way of doing this I think?  Perhaps editing the patterns manually could work but then you lose the ability to vary the patterns or variants etc without messing up the interplay between the two motifs.
Anyone else got a better method?
Thanks

RE: rests for pads? call-and-response melodies? - Jesse Johannesen - 09-07-2020

That's what I'd have suggested, using the mod matrix. You might be able to use a motif pattern as an LFO shape to get more complex on off lengths.
You could do the same with the motifs and just make patterns that have alternating high/low data to create those "mutes" where you want them. also look at clock div to get more complicated overlapping patterns to emerge(, set them to different clock divs).

I'd be interested in hearing other approaches too.

Jesse

RE: rests for pads? call-and-response melodies? - 22tape - 11-21-2020

Even though I can't always dial in what I want (probably user error), experimenting with the mod matrix in this context is a blast. Just by trying to dial it in often leads to ideas that are much better than what I was going for in the first place.

It's great fun to record NDLR into another MIDI sequencer. After building the basic song structure in NDLR, I've been setting up four super long blank patterns in the Deluge, then assigning the NDLR's 4 parts to record on those patterns. I'll first record a couple of passes of the basic song structure from NDLR, then I'll just keep recording as I noodle on the NDLR. When I'm done, I have the basic song structure recorded up top where I can copy/paste them into their own patterns, then I can cherry pick the best variations from noodling session and copy/paste them into their own patterns. Then work on a more precise arrangement from there. Deluge also has probability per note, so that's fun to add even more variation, not mention using the onboard arp.

RE: rests for pads? call-and-response melodies? - OnMyWayHome - 09-17-2021

(11-21-2020, 08:03 PM)22tape Wrote: Even though I can't always dial in what I want (probably user error), experimenting with the mod matrix in this context is a blast. Just by trying to dial it in often leads to ideas that are much better than what I was going for in the first place.

It's great fun to record NDLR into another MIDI sequencer. After building the basic song structure in NDLR, I've been setting up four super long blank patterns in the Deluge, then assigning the NDLR's 4 parts to record on those patterns. I'll first record a couple of passes of the basic song structure from NDLR, then I'll just keep recording as I noodle on the NDLR. When I'm done, I have the basic song structure recorded up top where I can copy/paste them into their own patterns, then I can cherry pick the best variations from noodling session and copy/paste them into their own patterns. Then work on a more precise arrangement from there. Deluge also has probability per note, so that's fun to add even more variation, not mention using the onboard arp.

Excellent Out of box thinking. I am hoping to do the same on my new Korg Wavestate & Send the midi into AL 11 for later manipulation via Magenta & then back into live looping on the external hardware. Early days & late nights ahead... The joy is contagious.

RE: rests for pads? call-and-response melodies? - Jesse Johannesen - 09-19-2021

(09-17-2021, 04:45 AM)OnMyWayHome Wrote:
(11-21-2020, 08:03 PM)22tape Wrote: Even though I can't always dial in what I want (probably user error), experimenting with the mod matrix in this context is a blast. Just by trying to dial it in often leads to ideas that are much better than what I was going for in the first place.

Excellent Out of box thinking. I am hoping to do the same on my new Korg Wavestate & Send the midi into AL 11 for later manipulation via Magenta & then back into live looping on the external hardware. Early days & late nights ahead... The joy is contagious.
I've been having a blast with the ipad Wavestation app and the NDLR. It's really fun that somebody thought to add a randomize function to that synth. 
Jesse

RE: rests for pads? call-and-response melodies? - the8bitdeity - 09-24-2021

funnily enough I just had a eureka moment on this very topic. I'd been a bit saddened that my NDLR pad was just a hard hold then I realized I can automate the "Pad" On / Off with a square wave LFO! 

However, I do have one follow on question. As far as I can tell both square waves (ideal for on / off) go from a low to high duty cycle, which essentially puts you on the "off" beat so to speak. Is there a way to invert the behavior such that I can go from On to Off and not Off to On? I basically want a inverted version of the LFO. 

Thanks in advance!

(09-19-2021, 09:01 PM)Jesse Johannesen Wrote:
(09-17-2021, 04:45 AM)OnMyWayHome Wrote:

I've been having a blast with the ipad Wavestation app and the NDLR. It's really fun that somebody thought to add a randomize function to that synth. 
Jesse

Similar for me too, I've been using the NDLR in conjunction with my Wavestate which is 4 part multi-timbral, seems like a really nice pairing

RE: rests for pads? call-and-response melodies? - Jesse Johannesen - 09-24-2021

There isn't a way to invert that behavior as far as I know, but you can always use one of the patterns as an LFO shape and that realllly open things up. I would have to recommend experimenting with this and seeing what you can get to happen.