Conductive Labs Support Forum
Key change button sending MIDI Prog Change too? - Printable Version

+- Conductive Labs Support Forum (https://conductivelabs.com/forum)
+-- Forum: The NDLR (https://conductivelabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: MIDI Connectivity (https://conductivelabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Key change button sending MIDI Prog Change too? (/showthread.php?tid=105)

Key change button sending MIDI Prog Change too? - midiotx0x - 02-17-2019

Hey all. I'm loving playing with NDLR and my Blofeld. A great combo, I think.

Does any one know if a pattern can save MIDI program change data in order to call up a preset multi patch from a multitimbral synth? Or even better whether patches per track {motif 1,2,Drone,Pad) can be saved and associated with specific black keys?

Pg 30 of the manual describes how to pass thru prog change from a controller/seq, but I'm wondering if there NDLR can send prog change commands from Motif 1 or 2, or Pad or Drone so that if I saved a pattern and certain prog change values on a black key that NDLR could, for example, change pad sounds when we change keys? 

Thanks!

--some ndlr+blofeld noodling-- https://instaud.io/_/3jEE.mp3

RE: Key change button sending MIDI Prog Change too? - Steve - 02-18-2019

(02-17-2019, 01:30 PM)midiotx0x Wrote: Hey all. I'm loving playing with NDLR and my Blofeld. A great combo, I think.

Does any one know if a pattern can save MIDI program change data in order to call up a preset multi patch from a multitimbral synth? Or even better whether patches per track {motif 1,2,Drone,Pad) can be saved and associated with specific black keys?

Pg 30 of the manual describes how to pass thru prog change from a controller/seq, but I'm wondering if there NDLR can send prog change commands from Motif 1 or 2, or Pad or Drone so that if I saved a pattern and certain prog change values on a black key that NDLR could, for example, change pad sounds when we change keys? 

Thanks!

--some ndlr+blofeld noodling-- https://instaud.io/_/3jEE.mp3

Great question. No promises at this point but we are looking at adding program change to the cord sequences in the forth coming editor.  This way each chord change can also send program change messages. It’s all theoretical right now and sometimes program change can be a real pain to manage across multiple devices on a MIDI chain. But we are looking into it. 

Re Blofeld: One of the reasons we started this project in the first place was to drive multi-timbral synths. I love using the E-mu & Roland romplers, my favorite being the E-mu Orbit at this point. This has also made me very sensitive when looking for used gear on Craigslist to choose synthesizers that are multi-timbral. The Roland SH 32 is cool, the Novation circuit has two layers, Korg ...tribes. In fact I found most modern poly synths have at least two layers that are accessible on different MIDI channels. It wasn’t until I unleashed the NDLR at some of these synths that I could use their total potential. Not to mention a lot of these are fairly cheap these days :-)   

Specifically we enabled the Pad interleaved poly chaining so you can play up to 4 lush adjacent ambient patches at once and keep them sonically separated a bit because different notes are being sent to different patches.   Modulating the pad position slowly by a wide range really makes this come alive with a wall of sound, because new notes are constantly triggered on different MIDI channels from the Pad’s “note pool”.  Especially if the patchs are long evolving patches.  

CAUTION:  this can cause a time warp and you may lose hours or even days of your life :-) 

One of the early NDLR videos has this Pad interleaved poly chaining demonstration.  I think you can do the same thing on the Blofeld!

Steve

RE: Key change button sending MIDI Prog Change too? - midiotx0x - 02-18-2019

Thanks Steve. Awesome to hear. And I will definitely be reading up on the Poly pad. More the merrier Smile

RE: Key change button sending MIDI Prog Change too? - Pdog - 02-20-2019

It is great hearing pads with the Blofeld.  It made me start thinking of other multi-timbral synths that are now less expensive and would sound great....

Alesis QS series
E-mu Orbit (V2), Audity 2000, Morpheus, Planet Phatt
Roland SH-32

Any others?

RE: Key change button sending MIDI Prog Change too? - bish - 04-03-2019

(02-20-2019, 04:42 PM)Pdog Wrote: It is great hearing pads with the Blofeld.  It made me start thinking of other multi-timbral synths that are now less expensive and would sound great....

Alesis QS series
E-mu Orbit (V2), Audity 2000, Morpheus, Planet Phatt
Roland SH-32

Any others?
I'm using the E-mu Proteus 2000... it works well. I also have the Korg TR-Rack, but I haven't had the time to futz with that yet.

The only downside to using a single multi-timbral box is usually the lack of enough dedicated outs (the Proteus has three sets)... mixing becomes a pain. I much prefer the sliders and pots on the Mackie to a two-line LCD display Smile

RE: Key change button sending MIDI Prog Change too? - Steve - 04-04-2019

OMG the E-mu rack units are awesome for multi-timbreal pads.  Darryl turned me on to the Orbit v2.  I think that’s the best E-mu rack unit so far (insert Morpheus comment here). I have a couple of the next generation units too, Audity and Extreme Lead. I like them because they have some knobs on the front panel that directly manipulate the patches.  Unfortunately the ones I have are not the “ultra“ versions, which means they only have one stereo pair output.
Steve
Just a reminder you have to use the Poly chaining to get multiple simultaneous patches for the Pad.   Well I guess you could double up the voices on the same midi channel too. :-)

RE: Key change button sending MIDI Prog Change too? - Steve - 04-04-2019

OMG the E-mu rack units are awesome for multi-timbreal pads.  Darryl turned me on to the Orbit v2.  I think that’s the best E-mu rack unit so far (insert Morpheus comment here). I have a couple of the next generation units too, Audity and Extreme Lead. I like them because they have some knobs on the front panel that directly manipulate the patches.  Unfortunately the ones I have are not the “ultra“ versions, which means they only have one stereo pair output.
Steve
Just a reminder you have to use the Poly chaining to get multiple simultaneous patches for the Pad.   Well I guess you could double up the voices on the same midi channel too. :-)