Conductive Labs Support Forum

Full Version: No device driver?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just got my NDLR.  All excited.  Connected via USB to laptop.  "Device driver failed to install".
No device driver?
Ummmm .... not off to a good start.
Please advise.
Thanks!
Hey Al, let's see if we can get to the bottom of this together. Can you tell me a little more about how it's set up? does the device boot up when connected to power (if not try a usb wall adaptor and see if that works)? Is there a usb hub involved? windows/mac? Have you tried power-cycling the computer? That sort of thing. I'm the new guy, so I'll talk to the Darryl and Steve and see if they've had any experience with this before, and get back to ya.
Hang in there,
Jesse
(02-17-2020, 04:49 PM)Jesse Johannesen Wrote: [ -> ]Hey Al, let's see if we can get to the bottom of this together. Can you tell me a little more about how it's set up? does the device boot up when connected to power (if not try a usb wall adaptor and see if that works)? Is there a usb hub involved? windows/mac? Have you tried power-cycling the computer? That sort of thing. I'm the new guy, so I'll talk to the Darryl and Steve and see if they've had any experience with this before, and get back to ya.
Hang in there,
Jesse
Jesse,
Thanks for the prompt reply.  I will try a couple more experiments and get back to you when I have a bit more data. I will try power down and back up and see what that does... and also on a Windows 10 laptop.
In the meantime:
The NDLR powers up fine and works great when I connected it via MIDI cable to hardware, which will be the primary use.  I am delighted.
I would like to be able to use it with my DAW, hence the report.  Here are the particulars so far:
Direct connect to the laptop USB port.  Tried both.  Laptop is a Toshiba Satellite running Windows 7 64 Bit mode.
Tried pulling cable out and reinserting.... got Driver Not Installed message.
Tried function to re-scan for new hardware.  It sees "unknown device" sitting there, but no driver.
Weirdly, when I fired up Kontakt it lists "NDLR" as a MIDI In device ... but nothing works.

I will keep you posted.  Let me know if any of the above info inspires you for more suggestions.
Thanks again.
Al
(02-17-2020, 04:49 PM)Jesse Johannesen Wrote: [ -> ]Hey Al, let's see if we can get to the bottom of this together. Can you tell me a little more about how it's set up? does the device boot up when connected to power (if not try a usb wall adaptor and see if that works)? Is there a usb hub involved? windows/mac? Have you tried power-cycling the computer? That sort of thing. I'm the new guy, so I'll talk to the Darryl and Steve and see if they've had any experience with this before, and get back to ya.
Hang in there,
Jesse

AHA!
Nothing worked on Windows 7 machine.
Plugged it in to Windows 10 laptop.... installed "and ready to go".... which is fine because re: using my DAW is with Windows 10 anyway... so all is good.
Have just tinkered a but but so far really like it... glad I got it.
Cheers,
Al
(02-18-2020, 08:59 AM)AlBaldwin3 Wrote: [ -> ]
Hang in there,
Jesse
Jesse,
Thanks for the prompt reply.  I will try a couple more experiments and get back to you when I have a bit more data. I will try power down and back up and see what that does... and also on a Windows 10 laptop.
In the meantime:
The NDLR powers up fine and works great when I connected it via MIDI cable to hardware, which will be the primary use.  I am delighted.
I would like to be able to use it with my DAW, hence the report.  Here are the particulars so far:
Direct connect to the laptop USB port.  Tried both.  Laptop is a Toshiba Satellite running Windows 7 64 Bit mode.
Tried function to re-scan for new hardware.  It sees "unknown device" sitting there, but no driver.
Weirdly, when I fired up Kontakt it lists "NDLR" as a MIDI In device ... but nothing works.

I will keep you posted.  Let me know if any of the above info inspires you for more suggestions.
Thanks again.
Al
Hey Al, I'm glad to hear it works for you via din, that's a relief. I did some talking with the others here and no one's come across this issue yet, but after talking it over it seems like its possible that the laptops USB isn't supplying the required power for the device. If you can, plug it into another computer's usb and see if you get the same results. Another test could be trying a powered USB hub in between the NDLR and the laptop to see if this confirms that suspicion. 
Let me know how it turns out.
Jesse

(02-19-2020, 10:25 AM)AlBaldwin3 Wrote: [ -> ]
Hang in there,
Jesse

AHA!
Plugged it in to Windows 10 laptop.... installed "and ready to go".... which is fine because re: using my DAW is with Windows 10 anyway... so all is good.
Cheers,
Al
Looks like I replied to you at the same time as you replied to me, funny! Glad to hear it's working with the other computer. As I mentioned we thought it was possible the laptop USB could be supplying less power than what is needed, so if you do need to get that working with the Toshiba, you may still have luck with using a powered USB hub, (although those can be another can of worms altogether, I've found).  
Have fun NDLing,
Jesse
(02-19-2020, 10:41 AM)Jesse Johannesen Wrote: [ -> ]
Hang in there,
Jesse
Jesse,
In the meantime:

Thanks again.
Al
Hey Al, I'm glad to hear it works for you via din, that's a relief. I did some talking with the others here and no one's come across this issue yet, but after talking it over it seems like its possible that the laptops USB isn't supplying the required power for the device. If you can, plug it into another computer's usb and see if you get the same results. Another test could be trying a powered USB hub in between the NDLR and the laptop to see if this confirms that suspicion. 
Jesse

Hang in there,
Jesse

AHA!
Cheers,
Al
Looks like I replied to you at the same time as you replied to me, funny! Glad to hear it's working with the other computer. As I mentioned we thought it was possible the laptop USB could be supplying less power than what is needed, so if you do need to get that working with the Toshiba, you may still have luck with using a powered USB hub, (although those can be another can of worms altogether, I've found).  
Have fun NDLing,
Jesse

Also might be something weird in Windows 7 since it is now officially dead ... or with the Toshiba. The other laptop that worked was a more recent ASUS.
I am happy with the outcome. Primary use will be for HW Synths and for that I got a USB Wall Wart that works fine. And if it is happy on a Windows 10 laptop (if the OS is indeed part of the issue on this machine), then no worries about using with my DAW on a high-powerd tower.
Thanks again for the support.
Al
(02-19-2020, 01:53 PM)AlBaldwin3 Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-19-2020, 10:41 AM)Jesse Johannesen Wrote: [ -> ]
Hang in there,
Jesse
Jesse,
In the meantime:

Thanks again.
Al
Jesse

Hang in there,
Jesse

AHA!
Cheers,
Al
Have fun NDLing,
Jesse

Also might be something weird in Windows 7 since it is now officially dead ... or with the Toshiba.  The other laptop that worked was a more recent ASUS.
I am happy with the outcome.  Primary use will be for HW Synths and for that I got a USB Wall Wart that works fine.  And if it is happy on a Windows 10 laptop (if the OS is indeed part of the issue on this machine), then no worries about using with my DAW on a high-powerd tower.
Thanks again for the support.
Al