Conductive Labs Support Forum

Full Version: NDLR with 1 synth ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi there,

just joined the community and I'm probably very noob compared to most  Smile.
I have only 1 synth at home -> Roland JD-XA. Lots of fun there but I wonder if the NDLR would be any use of it's connected to this one synth only ?
would I be able to do pad, drone etc just from the Roland ?

Thx for your advice

JC
Hey! I'm not really familiar with the JD, but a quick glance at the spec's says It has a 16 track sequencer on board, so that would lead me to believe that you could assign different voices (at least 4) to different midi channels. If that's the case, it should work fine.
Here's a quote from the SOS review, that would seem to confirm that:

" At the top level is a program, which can hold the complete settings for the eight synth parts, plus all sequencer and arpeggio data and the effects. Each part has its own MIDI channel and keyboard zone, plus a dedicated EQ and multi–effect (MFX). Then, for the entire program, there are two ‘total effects’ (TFX), a reverb and finally a delay. While you can’t divide parts into velocity zones, it’s nevertheless a serious amount of split and layered synthesis power.
Each of the first four parts is a single analogue voice, while parts five to eight share the 64 voices of the Supernatural synth engine."

So I would think so!
Cheers!
While I've not used a JD-XA, it is one of those super synths that seems to do everything. The key here is that it is 4 part multi-timbral with 64 voices. It looks like you can assign a MIDI channel to each of the 4 NDLR parts. By default, the analog parts are monophonic, so those would make good NDLR motif parts. You can assign the PAD and drone to digital parts.

The manual is pretty dense, and I didn't see how to do this but I'd be surprised if you can't do a keyboard split to try playing 4 different parts at once. That is, assign each JD-XA part to a seperate part of its keyboard. Then you can get an idea of what it would be like for The NDLR to be playing those 4 parts.
(02-05-2020, 03:47 PM)Darryl Wrote: [ -> ]While I've not used a JD-XA, it is one of those super synths that seems to do everything. The key here is that it is 4 part multi-timbral with 64 voices.  It looks like you can assign a MIDI channel to each of the 4 NDLR parts. By default, the analog parts are monophonic, so those would make good NDLR motif parts. You can assign the PAD and drone to digital parts.

The manual is pretty dense, and I didn't see how to do this but I'd be surprised if you can't do a keyboard split to try playing 4 different parts at once. That is, assign each JD-XA part to a seperate part of its keyboard. Then you can get an idea of what it would be like for The NDLR to be playing those 4 parts.
Here is how to set a zone for each part, from page 16 of the JD-XA manual:
Press Part On [01]–[04] + keyboard twice (to specify the lower and upper limit) Specifies the key range of each part.

Is it implying there are only two zones? Or you can do this once for each of the 4 parts? I'm not sure.
Thx a lot for the insights, I think it might help me get started.
Another noob question (a bit ashamed to ask actually) : does the output to speakers go from the Noodler or the synth ?

cheers
(02-06-2020, 04:29 AM)Jice01 Wrote: [ -> ]Thx a lot for the insights, I think it might help me get started.
Another noob question (a bit ashamed to ask actually) : does the output to speakers go from the Noodler or the synth ?

cheers
Good question. I'm putting together an FAQ and I think I found my first entry! Simply put, the NDLR does not produce any sound at all, so all the sounds will be coming out of the various gear it's midi is routed to, in this case your JDxa audio out would go to the monitors or mixer.
Jesse