Conductive Labs Support Forum

Full Version: Any way to do borrowed chords/ non-diatonic
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,
I haven't received my NDLR yet but I'm wondering is there any way you can use borrowed or non-diatonic chords - or even just custom 'user' chords?

Thanks
Yes you can just change the key and scale and then hit what ever chord Type and Degree you want and then change the key/scale back to your original . It's a bit fiddly with the knobs but doable. You have to hold the shift key down when you change the key and mode and then it won't send the intermediate values until you release the shift key. I have made a template for external control the ndlr and put many functions on a touch iphone, ipad or android screen using TouchOSC.   You can do this very quickly with the template. It is hard to do with the knobs because you have to scroll to the key and scale and you'll hear the music change as you go through the settings.  With my template it is near instant and easier to pull off in real time as each value is a discrete button press. 

I tried these 4 progressions with borrowed chords from parallel keys and they work. 

You'll '' want to use the Chord Types 9 to 19 with the Drone or it won't quite sound right otherwise it takes its reference from the key instead of the chord (for the root , fifth and octave) as I understand it .

[b]Progression 1[/b]

E C B7 B A B7 E …in this progression here the C chord is borrowed from the parallel key of E Minor.
[b]Progression 2[/b]
E C F#0 B C#m7 F#m7 E – this progression has a bVI and ii half diminished. It borrows two chords both from the Parallel key of E Minor. The C is part of the key of E minor and so is the F#0.
[b]Progression 3[/b]
E A D D#o G#m Am B7
The D and Am come from the E minor parallel scale.
[b]Number 4[/b]
C F G Ab G7 C – the Ab came from the parallel key Cm.
thanks so much! That's good to know.

Its a shame user chosen chords can't be assigned to some of the main scale positions or alt positions...I could happily lose the diminished 7th from a major scale for something else from time to time.
(01-28-2020, 06:09 PM)Scotty_123 Wrote: [ -> ]It is hard to do with the knobs because you have to scroll to the key and scale and you'll hear the music change as you go through the settings.

In many (maybe all?) cases holding down SHIFT while rotating the knob doesn't send the intermediate values. In other words, only the setting that's selected when you release the SHIFT button is sent.
(01-29-2020, 06:26 AM)Almost Aviation Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-28-2020, 06:09 PM)Scotty_123 Wrote: [ -> ]It is hard to do with the knobs because you have to scroll to the key and scale and you'll hear the music change as you go through the settings.

In many (maybe all?) cases holding down SHIFT while rotating the knob doesn't send the intermediate values. In other words, only the setting that's selected when you release the SHIFT button is sent.
Great! That tip slipped my mind. I'll edit my response for accuracy.