Conductive Labs Support Forum

Full Version: Motif behaviour
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello. It would good to have the option to de-couple the motif from the chord changes, keeping it locked to the root, as with the drone. I'd also like to be able to de-couple the motif from chord invert, so it plays more like a 'traditional' sequencer, just transposing the pattern while the pad inverts. 

Thanks

Rob
(12-09-2019, 11:34 PM)rob-ant Wrote: [ -> ]Hello. It would good to have the option to de-couple the motif from the chord changes, keeping it locked to the root, as with the drone. I'd also like to be able to de-couple the motif from chord invert, so it plays more like a 'traditional' sequencer, just transposing the pattern while the pad inverts. 

Thanks

Rob

Isn't this what the 'scale' and 'chromatic' pattern types do? It's also useful for chromatic types that you can input the sequence from a midi keyboard. Not sure about the inversion behaviour for those types of sequence.
Thanks Mark, you were right. However, when I change to chromatic or scale, the notes drop in pitch significantly and I'm not sure why. Also, and I may be missing something again, but is it possible to swap note value for note itself I
the editor? Value of say '15' means nothing to me but if the value displayed the actual note, based on the root note, it would be much more helpful.
(01-10-2020, 05:48 AM)rob-ant Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks Mark, you were right. However,  when I change to chromatic or scale, the notes drop in pitch significantly and I'm not sure why. Also, and I may be missing something again,  but is it possible to swap note value for note itself I
the editor? Value of say '15' means nothing to me but if the value displayed the actual note, based on the root note, it would be much more helpful.

I have seen anomalies in how the scale and chromatic patterns are saved, which I have raised in another post. However, I think the pitch changes you describe are something else. Darryl posted a response to one of my other messages saying that all NDLR's notes are relative values, not absolute notes, and so I am guessing when you change between Scale, Chromatic and Chord modes those values relate to different reference points. I can't be more specific as I don't know a lot about either music theory or the NDLR internals!

But I agree, the use of note numbers is not intuitive. I have found, as I think is intended, that the only real way to design a sequence in the pattern editor is to fiddle with the note values while the pattern is running until you get something you like. For Scale and Chromatic patterns the actual notes don't matter as you can transpose the sequence later by changing the position. For chromatic sequences it is helpful to use a keyboard to input the notes, although again you will need to transpose the pattern to get it into the key you need. I posted a message about this too.
(01-10-2020, 05:48 AM)rob-ant Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks Mark, you were right. However,  when I change to chromatic or scale, the notes drop in pitch significantly and I'm not sure why. Also, and I may be missing something again,  but is it possible to swap note value for note itself I
Just to add to Mark's useful comments, the notes change for chromatic mode because its a completely different note pool. For chord mode, the note pool is constrained to notes in the chord, in chromatic mode the pool it the entire keyboard (within the limits of the pattern step range).

The NDLR was never meant to replace a traditional sequencer. As you are discovering, its tedious to try to force it into that role. I use a Beatstep Pro or my Korg SQ-1 when I want to have a static sequence in the mix.