Conductive Labs Support Forum

Full Version: Squarp Instruments Hermod works over USB
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
My MRCC arrived yesterday and I started re-wiring my studio bit by bit. I can report that the Hermod Eurorack sequencer by Squarp Instruments works very well. 

So far I have tested sequencing several synths using normal MIDI on the MRCC. I connected the Hermod USB device port to port one of the MRCC USB device port and setup the routing to the MIDI out ports (connected 4 synths so far, more to go).

Clock timing is good, all synths I connected follow MIDI clock nicely. I will need to make a few tests to figure out best power-up sequence (Hermod first or MRCC first). I have noticed the Hermod - MRCC over USB combination can take a few seconds to recognize each other, not a big deal and expected when using USB.

Thank you guys, a brilliantly designed product. Especially coming from a good old Roland A-880 .... from the early '80s, this is a huge improvement and well overdue.
Ah... this is interesting - or at least it might be...

I'm scratching my head with the USB connectivity from a Squarp Pyramid - which the CL compatibility list approves of - and which is fairly comparable to the Hermod (I think).  And my MRCC (v1.0.147) apparently recognises the Pyramid (v3.23) by displaying a green LED at the host port.

5 pin MIDI is working like it should, and I see the red arrows in the MRCC Activity screen indicating that clock is being sent by the Pyramid, and also displays that MIDI events are being received by the relevant device.

However, I do not see any similar indication that the USB MIDI is sending clock, or any other events - despite enabling all USB settings on the Pyramid, and confirming in the Pyramid info screen that clock and other MIDI events are being sent via USB. If you're sending clock via USB from the Hermod - do you see the arrow and other events on the MRCC Activity page by any chance?

Following the MRCC manual I can select the Pyramid USB port on the MRCC, select the relevant virtual cable, and select the (out) destination but I am yet to successfully make any connection from the Pyramid via USB.

I have hooked up the Pyramid directly to the PC and can successfully control VST instruments over USB in Cubase. Clearly then Pyramid is sending ok, and the cable is working.

I even swapped out the cable in a rather desperate and illogical move - but the MRCC just doesn't seem to be receiving MIDI over USB from the Pyramid.

I'm confused - I do hope this is user error, a setting thing maybe - if you/anyone can shine any light here it would be appreciated.
To see what MIDI messages are coming in from the Pyramid, select its input on MRCC so it lights green. If its on USB MIDI host port A, select the left A button. Turn the encoder to the ROUTING screen. Play something on the Pyramid and you should see the MIDI messages appearing on the routing screen. Let us know if you are seeing any MIDI messages there.

The green indicator on the USB host port is a good sign that the USB hub chip thinks there's something there that needs a USB data connection, and not just a device wanting power. Unfortunately, it doesn't mean that MRCC can successfully enumerate the device, as we don't have direct control over that indicator. The best way to see if its working is monitoring the input or routing to something to see if it plays.
Thanks Darryl.

No, according to the MRCC routing screen i’m not seeing any MIDI activity coming from Pyramid USB.

For comparison MRCC is receiving MIDI messages from a Faderfox EC4.

If Pyramid is listed as a ‘yes’ in the CL compatibility list - and ghavinga has had success with Hermod - it still leaves me a little confused. Could this yet be a cable issue somehow? Pyramid is also powered via usb.

Straw-clutching perhaps...
Hi Darryl... Ok, I just did some more testing with a Faderfox EC4, M-audio Key Station 61mk3 and the Squarp Pyramid, and can report the following (spoiler alert: #5 is where it's at):

1) All devices plugged in to MRCC usb host ports - but with the Pyramid physical power switch off > Boot MRCC >EC4 and KS3 show green led on MRCC, and send midi messages as per the MRCC routing screen > when Pyramid is switched on it shows a green led on MRCC, but no midi activity can be seen in the routing page.

2) All devices plugged in to MRCC usb host ports - but with the Pyramid physical power switch on > Boot MRCC > EC4 and KS3 do not show green led on MRCC (but take power and boot successfully) - however no midi activity is noted for either device in the routing screen on MRCC > Pyramid boots instantly and shows green led on MRCC, but no midi activity is noted in the routing screen on MRCC.

3) EC4 and KS3 plugged in to MRCC usb host ports (Pyramid not plugged into host port) > Boot MRCC > EC4 and KS3 show green led on MRCC, and send midi messages as per the MRCC routing screen > Pyramid (switched off) plugged in to usb host port > Switch on Pyramid - green led shows, but no midi activity in MRCC routing screen.

4) No devices plugged in to usb host ports on MRCC > Boot MRCC > Pyramid (switched on) plugged in to usb host port – green led shows – no midi activity is seen in the routing screen. * I get the same negative result in this scenario if Pyramid is plugged in whilst switched off – but then booted.

5) EC4 and KS3 plugged in to MRCC usb host ports (Pyramid not plugged into host port) > Boot MRCC > EC4 and KS3 show green led on MRCC, and send midi messages as per the MRCC routing screen > Pyramid (switched on) plugged in to usb host port > Switch on Pyramid - green led shows, MIDI ACTIVITY IS WORKING LIKE A CHARM!!!

So, whilst clearly not ideal, it seems I have a successful workaround. I appreciate there are many variables here, but hopefully the scenarios posted above will be of some use to the people with the technical chops. It would be really interesting to know what’s happening here – and obviously, ideally, for it to be resolved somehow without physically re-patching. Interesting that Pyramid is listed as compatible in your list too, which does give me some hope.

Thanks.
To further complicate things, I believe there are at least 3 hardware versions of the Pyramid. I'm happy to hear you were able to get it working!
Jesse
Hi Jesse...

Yes, good point - I'm a Pyramid Mk2 user.

As I understand it, the first batch (x100) of Mk1 devices - had an accelerometer - but the remaining Mk1 devices did not. The Mk2 device had a recessed touchpad, as opposed to flush. And the Mk3 'current' iteration has introduced other cosmetic changes such as different coloured pads.

I'm not aware of any other technical/hardware changes, USB midi has always been a feature, and all versions can, I believe, run the latest OS.

Do you happen to know which version of the Pyramid was tested as being compatible, as listed in the CL compatibility tracker?
I'm also a Squarp Pyramid user (MK2 I think) running into the same issue. For now I'm just going to use regular midi cables from the in and out ports of the pyramid, but I'd love to simplify my setup and use the USB port instead if possible.
(07-27-2021, 08:32 AM)Spares Wrote: [ -> ]Hi Jesse...

Yes, good point - I'm a Pyramid Mk2 user.

As I understand it, the first batch (x100) of Mk1 devices - had an accelerometer - but the remaining Mk1 devices did not. The Mk2 device had a recessed touchpad, as opposed to flush. And the Mk3 'current' iteration has introduced other cosmetic changes such as different coloured pads.

I'm not aware of any other technical/hardware changes, USB midi has always been a feature, and all versions can, I believe, run the latest OS.

Do you happen to know which version of the Pyramid was tested as being compatible, as listed in the CL compatibility tracker?

Yes, the tester was using hardware V1. This user did have to drop out from beta testing fairly early on, so it's possible they just hadn't run into the issue of power cycling during the time they had it hooked up. We can make a not of that in the compatibility tracker now though so going forward that issue is stated somewhere. 
Jesse
This is interesting, there must be some differences between the Hermod and the Pyramid. I can switch the MRCC and the Hermod on in any order and the Hermod is always picked up and sending MIDI clock + data when I press play and have a track active that does sent stuff. 

I do have to tell the Hermod in my projects to specifically start using the "USB Device" in the MIDI effects configuration. 

I do have the Hermod in MRCC port A and the Kordbot in port B.

Not sure if that helps for the Pyramid.
Pages: 1 2