Conductive Labs Support Forum

Full Version: Recording notes into the pattern editor
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I finally got this to work, but (maybe someone can verify), it looks like it only works if the midi controller channel is not the same as the one set up for other sections?

(it could be something else - like it doesn't like channel 1. something that would explain what i'm seeing).

in any case - wanted to explore more midi interaction today (was controlling the pad section with midi cc yesterday, and that works great)

But yeah - it was not working at all when i had but ndlr cntrl midi set to '1 all'. As soon as I changed it to channel 2, and sent the notes to channel 2, it worked. Not a biggie, but I haven't found this discussed (might very well have missed it) or mentioned in the manual. Ideally I use channel 1 for everything - and thus far sending cc messages was working fine with channel 1.
Yeah, I don't have mine in front of me, but I think the NDLR CTRL channel still just changes chord degree and chord type if it receives MIDI when in that menu. It would likely have to be on another channel. I'll see if I can confirm that for you.
Jesse
(07-11-2021, 10:43 AM)Nelson Baboon Wrote: [ -> ]I finally got this to work, but (maybe someone can verify), it looks like it only works if the midi controller channel is not the same as the one set up for other sections?

Would you mind sharing how you got this setup to work? Like the basic setup from the top?
I would love to get my Keystep setup to input notes into the patterns. That's really the only thing missing for me from NDLR (besides randomize)

Cheers!!
(09-03-2021, 10:37 PM)erickey Wrote: [ -> ]I would love to get my Keystep setup to input notes into the patterns. That's really the only thing missing for me from NDLR (besides randomize)
Hi
there is a randomizing function for the Motif's Pattern and Rhythm in the Library program if you can stand having to do it via USB with a computer.
https://www.bwalk.com.au/NDLR/NDLR.html

All the best
Royce
(07-11-2021, 10:43 AM)Nelson Baboon Wrote: [ -> ]I finally got this to work, but (maybe someone can verify), it looks like it only works if the midi controller channel is not the same as the one set up for other sections?

(it could be something else - like it doesn't like channel 1. something that would explain what i'm seeing).

in any case - wanted to explore more midi interaction today (was controlling the pad section with midi cc yesterday, and that works great)

But yeah - it was not working at all when i had but ndlr cntrl midi set to '1 all'. As soon as I changed it to channel 2, and sent the notes to channel 2, it worked. Not a biggie, but I haven't found this discussed (might very well have missed it) or mentioned in the manual. Ideally I use channel 1 for everything - and thus far sending cc messages was working fine with channel 1.

OK so I got a chance to test this out and it looks like writing notes into the pattern only works if the input is being sent to the NDLR Ctrl channel, which on mine is set to channel 15. I would advise not setting the Ctrl channel to one of the same channels and ports of devices that you are sending MIDI out to as the NDLR will intercept all MIDI data being sent to that channel and you won't be able to control downstream devices with things like MIDI CCs or pitchbend messages etc. Even if you aren't using anything like that, it would probably be helpful to separate those channels just in case there is some weird unexpected interaction (like this) where it's unclear whether it should be working or not. Hopefully you've already got this up and running, but if you need more help with it let me know. 

Jesse

(09-04-2021, 09:16 PM)Royce Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-03-2021, 10:37 PM)erickey Wrote: [ -> ]I would love to get my Keystep setup to input notes into the patterns. That's really the only thing missing for me from NDLR (besides randomize)
Hi
there is a randomizing function for the Motif's Pattern and Rhythm in the Library program if you can stand having to do it via USB with a computer.

All the best
Royce
erickey - By the way, I am using my Keystep to enter notes for the above mentioned testing. Just make sure it's set to the NDLR Ctrl channel (you can find the channel in Menu Settigns 1/3).

Royce- This just got me thinking about trying an experiment where you send motif 1 out to a synth on MIDI out A, and Motif 2 to MIDI B on the NDLR Ctrl channel, then route the MIDI B back into the NDLR with Motif 2 paused, go into the Pattern editor and while Motif 1 plays, start and stop Motif 2 intermittently, and maybe at a diffrent clock div to rewrite the buffer of Motif 1. I wonder if I can make it work?
Jesse
(09-04-2021, 09:16 PM)Royce Wrote: [ -> ]
Hi

All the best
Royce

thanks for pointing that out!

So, I downloaded the files got everything installed (correctly, I think?) and it won't really communicate with the NDLR, any kind of session loading or sending just comes up with a lot of errors. And on the editing pages, there isn't anything in the resources window, and there is no "randomize" displayed like in the pictures on the NDLR Library webpage.

I'm certain I'm doing something wrong, maybe you could point out some common pitfalls?
I'm on OS 10.15.7
NDLR is plugged in USB
App is installed and NDLR_Files is in my documents folder

cheers!
(09-06-2021, 02:39 AM)erickey Wrote: [ -> ]thanks for pointing that out!

So, I downloaded the files got everything installed (correctly, I think?) and it won't really communicate with the NDLR, any kind of session loading or sending just comes up with a lot of errors. And on the editing pages, there isn't anything in the resources window, and there is no "randomize" displayed like in the pictures on the NDLR Library webpage.

I'm certain I'm doing something wrong, maybe you could point out some common pitfalls?
I'm on OS 10.15.7
NDLR is plugged in USB
Sorry, not a good start.

So Mac OSX Catalina (10.15) .
Unfortunately the Mac version of the program wasn't beta tested with other users, so the program has only been tested on a few Mac OSX versions.
It was built and mainly tested on El Capitan (10.11) although I have had a few users with later OSX and even one user has it running on Apple silicon.

In the Settings page you need to select the NDLR serial port to match your NDLR.
If you have a MRCC as well, you will see similar extra serial port(s) in the list and so you may need to try out more than one
(both devices are made with Teensy based hardware and there is no way to know, as far as I know, which is which).

Your serial port selection is stored on disk so it might be better to restart the program after the serial port selection.

When you first start using the Library program it just has the NDLR Load and Save and the hard disk Load and Save along with drag and dropping elements from the Resource area to rearrange  or build a new NDLR session.
This keeps the interface simple when you start using the program and for some that may be all they want.

In the Settings page tick two options.
The text line 'Allow SHIFT + click ....'  and the line ''Allow SHIFT + drag (paint), randomizing ...' to enable these extra features, in the the Pattern and Rhythm editing pages.

As far as the Resources session is concerned, you have to load a session from disk into the Resources area .
The Resources session is read only and used to drag and drop elements (Patterns, Rhythms, Presets or Sequences) into the main NDLR Session where it can then be sent to the NDLR.

There is a pdf manual in the folder, 'NDLR_Files', you dragged to the Document area.

Hope this helps.
Let me know how you get on.

Royce
(09-06-2021, 06:07 AM)Royce Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-06-2021, 02:39 AM)erickey Wrote: [ -> ]thanks for pointing that out!

I'm on OS 10.15.7
NDLR is plugged in USB
Sorry, not a good start.

So Mac OSX Catalina (10.15) .
Unfortunately the Mac version of the program wasn't beta tested with other users, so the program has only been tested on a few Mac OSX versions.
It was built and mainly tested on El Capitan (10.11) although I have had a few users with later OSX and even one user has it running on Apple silicon.

In the Settings page you need to select the NDLR serial port to match your NDLR.
If you have a MRCC as well, you will see similar extra serial port(s) in the list and so you may need to try out more than one
(both devices are made with Teensy based hardware and there is no way to know, as far as I know, which is which).

Your serial port selection is stored on disk so it might be better to restart the program after the serial port selection.

When you first start using the Library program it just has the NDLR Load and Save and the hard disk Load and Save along with drag and dropping elements from the Resource area to rearrange  or build a new NDLR session.
This keeps the interface simple when you start using the program and for some that may be all they want.

In the Settings page tick two options.
The text line 'Allow SHIFT + click ....'  and the line ''Allow SHIFT + drag (paint), randomizing ...' to enable these extra features, in the the Pattern and Rhythm editing pages.

As far as the Resources session is concerned, you have to load a session from disk into the Resources area .
The Resources session is read only and used to drag and drop elements (Patterns, Rhythms, Presets or Sequences) into the main NDLR Session where it can then be sent to the NDLR.

There is a pdf manual in the folder, 'NDLR_Files', you dragged to the Document area.

Hope this helps.
Let me know how you get on.

Royce
Hey Royce, 
Sorry for the really late reply. I got into a big project with deadlines and just got a chance to come back around to this.

I got the librarian working, thanks

Turns out I don't like to use the computer and NDLR at the same time, takes the immediacy of NDLR away too much for me.
I would love if NDLR had just a key combination to randomize patterns and rhythms. Is that ever going to be a reality?
IMO, NDLR is perfect, save this one function.

Cheers!!
Well it's probably not going to be something we add, but there are ways to get some randomization to happen in the NDLR. One way is to set the NDLR CTRL channel to be MIDI B CH 16 for instance, then set the MIDI out of Motif 2 to be on MIDI A out CH 16, and set Motif 1 to go out MIDI B CH 1 (or whatever) to downstream devices, then take the output of A and put it into the MIDI B input.

NDLR MIDI A OUT --> NDLR MIDI B in
NDLR MIDI B OUT --> Synth on CH1

Make the divisor on Motif 2 really long so it's playing slow

Now enable only Motif 1 and it will play whatever motif pattern you set, now if you go into the pattern editor you can enable Motif 2 and it will start replacing notes in the pattern at a slow rate.

You could also set up the Mod Matrix so that it slowly enables and disables that motif part to make the changes happen intermittently.

I'm not sure what would happen if you tried this out of the Pattern menu, but it might be cool, or it might be a trainwreck. Worth a try though!

Now this
(03-13-2022, 08:01 PM)Jesse Johannesen Wrote: [ -> ]One way is to set the NDLR CTRL channel to be MIDI B CH 16 for instance

NDLR CTRL and KB Trans is only selectable for all ports I guess?
Pages: 1 2